LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Paint & Body Work (https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work-128/)
-   -   SLP SS Grille Paint Question (https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/1844019-slp-ss-grille-paint-question.html)

1998SSSLP 09-01-2016 11:04 PM

SLP SS Grille Paint Question

Just purchased a used SLP Grille, that needed a repaint.

I found that Goof Off Graffiti Remover worked great in removing the old black paint......didn't melt the plastic...

Now for the ten-thousand dollar question... should i use Gloss Black Plastic Bumper Paint from Duplicolor, with an adhesion promoter ???...or...is there something better that might be more flexible?

I could go to my local body repair shop, but wanted to do this myself if possible.

The grille is made from a soft plastic material, and was wondering if someone has a better solution for painting this thing.

Thanks

Spiestech79 09-02-2016 02:00 PM

If you took it all the way down to the plastic you need to use something that will adhere to it. I use bulldog plastic adhesion promoter sometimes on that kind of stuff then topcoat it. Call ur local autobody supplier and ask them what they think. Not sure spray can stuff will work ontop of the bulldog promoter.

Spiestech79 09-02-2016 02:02 PM

Should say on the back of the grill what kind of plastic it's made out of. ABS TPO something like that. That will help when selecting the right products

1998SSSLP 09-02-2016 05:42 PM

Went to my local shop and he told me to use a plastic bumper adhesion promoter and krylon fusion for plastics. Seems like it took to it pretty well. The shop guy recommended a clear coat after 7 days. I'll post a picture when done.

SomDay 01-04-2017 06:26 AM

Would love to see some pictures. Mine is faded and needs a repaint as well.

1998SSSLP 01-04-2017 11:02 AM

Just think of what a new ss slp grille would look like. That's what it looks like now. Still looks like new......the Fusion paint looks awesome.

As a side note, my son bought a removable license plate holder that puts the license plate below the SS logo on the grille. At a car show or cruise, he just removes the plate......and forgets to put it back on when he leaves!!!

SomDay 01-07-2017 12:01 PM

I was more looking to see how it came out after you cleared it and what you used. Thanks anyway.

1998SSSLP 01-07-2017 07:10 PM

Here's a picture of the final product.
Straight Krylon Fusion paint in Gloss Black.
Used a plastic paint promoter before spraying the Krylon. No clear coat.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...68fdb21de6.jpg

SomDay 01-07-2017 08:39 PM

Looks great.

So just remove the old paint with a cleaner, prime with promoter, and then spray the Krylon. I can do that myself and might even try to clear coat it. Thank you.

1998SSSLP 01-07-2017 09:24 PM

I used Goof Off Graffitti Remover spray. Yellow can, bought at Lowes. Took a few days of repeated applications and removals with a green Scotch Brite pad to get all the paint off.
Once I got to the bare plastic.....I cleaned the hell out of it with Dawn dish washing liquid....
Then I used a paint adhesion promoter for plastic and sprayed about 5-6 light coats of Krylon Fusion paint in gloss black...
Let the first two coats flash a bit before spraying the additional coats.

I removed the SS emblems before doing anything. Reapplied with new ones...or reuse the ones you take off by reapplying two-sided tape to the emblems and put them back onto the finished grille.

Good Luck!!!
Mike

LT4vert 01-31-2017 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spiestech79 (Post 19378840)
Should say on the back of the grill what kind of plastic it's made out of. ABS TPO something like that. That will help when selecting the right products

I believe the grill was molded out of Urethane like the front bumper was.

1998SSSLP 01-31-2017 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by LT4vert (Post 19521193)
I believe the grill was molded out of Urethane like the front bumper was.

Mine didn't have any markings whatsoever. Took it to my local body shop and he told me it was a soft ABS plastic.

LT4vert 01-31-2017 07:33 PM

Plastics is the industry I am in, it is definately not any type of ABS. All ABS is very ridgid. Pretty certain its a type of Urethane though,its too soft to be any other kind of plastic that would be practical to use for a grill.

1998SSSLP 02-01-2017 10:47 AM

Lt4vert.... your right on. It's a soft urethane, not ABS. I am surprised how good the Fusion paint worked.

camarodude87 10-04-2018 05:51 PM

Subbed for later use