Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Trunk/Hatch height adjustment - how

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Trunk/Hatch height adjustment - how

last year I had the rear trunk/hatch repainted and replaced.

it has always seemed a little "high" to me. it doesn't leak, no air whistles or anything. but with my OCD, i'd like to adjust it for a better fit.

how do I make the trunk seat further down? see attached picture. Maybe its normal - i don't know. look forward to any advice and tips.

thanks

Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

You can adjust this with the rubber bumpers/stoppers on the underside of the hatch. If you want it to sit lower just screw these in, unless they are already as tight as possible (at that point I guess you could try trimming them, if it needs to sit lower.)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ thanks. I wasn't sure if playing with the latch would also be a form of adjustment
Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be, but it looks like it is the corners pushed up more than the center. Mess with the rubber stoppers first.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so, i looked and the stoppers are adjusted all the way up - so they are not bottoming out when the deck is shut causing the corners to lift.

While looking thru some boxes in the garage, i found a box and it had a trunk latch in it. when I had my deck replaced, they must have played with the latch at some point.

can the latch be slid up or down to fine tune the shutting height?
Old 07-24-2017, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's been a while since I did mine and I honestly can't remember if the hatch latch is slotted. But the best way to do it is remove the latch, align those little bump stops so it sits flat, then put the latch back in.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

when I switched out my base bird trunk lid to a TA lid I found out that the plate on the lid side that goes to the latch are different....could not get it to fit til it was switched out......did they use the same latch plate ?
Old 07-25-2017, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^thanks - I am assuming they switched that latch. there was one in the extra box of goodies they left me in the car once i picked it up.

you are talking about a somewhat square piece with a hole in it that mates with the lock mechanism mounted in the trunk - right?

that plate has no adjustments either, just 4 bolt holes
Old 07-26-2017, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Ran into the same issue with mine and Ive yet to figure it out.... Im in for a fix.

side note I always wondered if it was because I installed it with the gas struts on, as there are slide adustments where the latch bolts in to the sail panel. That was alwasy gonna be my first stop to see if it would allow it to close more flush.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't managed to fix this, but yes, it is adjustable. The lower section of the latch mechanism can be slid side-to-side and up-and-down. You can also use the stops at the corners to put a little tension on everything when shut. Just lift the trunk liner up and over the latch and you can get to the bolts. Mine is a 1998, so it may look a little different from yours.

The problem I have with adjusting, is that the hatch is either too loose, and it takes several pops to open, or it is too tight, and it rattles when going over bumps. It didn't used to do this before, and I have replaced the lower latch without fixing the issue.

Quick Reply: Trunk/Hatch height adjustment - how