Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Hood Paint estimated cost

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hood Paint estimated cost

I just bought a '94 Mystic Teal Metallic Trans AM and I'm swapping the entire drivetrain from other car ('94 Forumla). The old car has a custom hood which was never prepped and painted (the hood and car were both white). What is a good price for getting just a hood painted? I'd like it to be body color but if that's going to be too much the next option is to paint the hood and headlight covers flat black which I imagine I can do myself in my home garage.

Any guesses to what a reasonable shop would charge to paint just a hood?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the paint already purchased and are speaking purely labor cost, my history of having hoods painted (Which has been many) lol, I've been charged 150-300. I'd call around to other shops and get appraisals and go from there. Location does play quite a large role in price although.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

In a way, you kinda get what you pay for when it comes to painting. When i bought my car, it had the hoods clearcoat flaking off really bad, but the rest of the car looked pretty good, so I knew id have to get the hood painted. I got a quote for 300 by a local shop with pretty good reviews. But then my uncle told me he has friend who also paints cars for really cheap. I shouldve have know it was a bad idea when he only charged my 60 bucks lol. Well it looked good for a couple of months. Then about a year later, it looks even worse than it was before i had it painted lol. Leason learned. Now im saving up to do the whole car, cus other parts are starting to flake off too.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zlow28
In a way, you kinda get what you pay for when it comes to painting. When i bought my car, it had the hoods clearcoat flaking off really bad, but the rest of the car looked pretty good, so I knew id have to get the hood painted. I got a quote for 300 by a local shop with pretty good reviews. But then my uncle told me he has friend who also paints cars for really cheap. I shouldve have know it was a bad idea when he only charged my 60 bucks lol. Well it looked good for a couple of months. Then about a year later, it looks even worse than it was before i had it painted lol. Leason learned. Now im saving up to do the whole car, cus other parts are starting to flake off too.
Is the clear coat peeling? Also, you pay for what you get is a pretty true statement, always look into reviews or look and people who have done business with that person. I have gotten a SS hood painted for 40 bucks, he was a good friend of mine and it has held up for the past 2 years lol.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ls1Ryan2002
Is the clear coat peeling? Also, you pay for what you get is a pretty true statement, always look into reviews or look and people who have done business with that person. I have gotten a SS hood painted for 40 bucks, he was a good friend of mine and it has held up for the past 2 years lol.
Yeah, but now it has almost all peeled off so it kinda looks like a black matte hood lol.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Yeah, but now it has almost all peeled off so it kinda looks like a black matte hood lol.
I'd be pretty pissed if the whole hoods clear was already coming off. Tell him you want money back lol. How much are you being quoted for a full body paint job?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ls1Ryan2002
I'd be pretty pissed if the whole hoods clear was already coming off. Tell him you want money back lol. How much are you being quoted for a full body paint job?
I kinda was, but at the same time, I didnt really anything different for the price I paid.

I still havent gotten a quote for the whole car. Its not really my daily, so im taking my time to fix/upgrade other things first.

Quick Reply: Hood Paint estimated cost