Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

1968 Camaro restore or body swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1968 Camaro restore or body swap

Hey guys just wanting some opinions on my project and what I should do. I have a 1968 Camaro SS 350 I've had since high school I'm starting to restore finally. The problem is it did not have an easy life before I owned it. The back of the car was slammed hard before I owned it and needs some major sheet metal replacement. Like probably everything full quarters, frame rails, trunk etc. to be done right.
I also have a 1968 firebird that was wrecked in the front that I bought as a parts car and never intended to use other than parts. The body is straight and in perfect condition so I am considering just replacing the quarter panels and tail panel on it with Camaro panels and then take the front end off my original 68 Camaro and put it on it.
So in all aspects it would look and be a Camaro but on paper it would be a firebird.
So I'm torn if I want to restore the original Camaro which will take considerable more time and effort but will then be a true Camaro throughout or just use the firebird body and be done with it.
Which route do you think I should take?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Depends on if originality is your main drive or having a cool rust free camaro when your done, and being done in a certain time frame. The Camaro purists would crucify you if you asked them, but what do YOU want from the car?
Old 04-16-2018, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Well that's where I'm torn. Me personally could care less about what the vin# says. As long as it's straight looks good and goes fast. But if I ever did try to sell it which I don't plan on doing it would probably kill the value of the car
Old 05-01-2018, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by rdd014camaro
Well that's where I'm torn. Me personally could care less about what the vin# says. As long as it's straight looks good and goes fast. But if I ever did try to sell it which I don't plan on doing it would probably kill the value of the car
To the majority of the people, it certainly will.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

I'm in the middle of doing a similar project right now and in my opinion its much cheaper to restore it from individual sheet metal than it is to buy a body. New body cost somewhere around 13K. I have replaced most of my sheet metal for 6K. What is most? The only things left on mine from 69 are the D-panels, upper cowl and roof braces. Everything else is AMD. That being said I easily have 200 hours in labor on sheet metal alone. Plus I built a jig to make sure everything goes back right.

If you ever have any questions on the 1st gen let me know.

Best of luck on the project.

~Jim~