Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Our bubbling roof sail panels

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Our bubbling roof sail panels

I was just wondering how you guys with the bubbling issue are dealing with it. I thought I had a source from another TECH member but that bombed out. 6LE....well most of you know the problem there.

Me...I'm just disgusted I'm too old to scrounge junkyards and even if one is found it's obviously very difficult to remove it.

So how have you guys dealt with it?
Old 05-15-2018, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I just let mine bubble away. Met a guy last week that painted over his. Guess what happened?
Bubbling coming back less than 6 months later. There is no option but to replace it if you don't want bubbles.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a new 6LE panel that I've had for a few years waiting to go on whenever I have the money to do it and the several other body stuff it needs at the same time.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Teching In

I don't drive mine much and it stays in the garage. Wife and I took her out to go eat, about 30 mile round trip and sitting in the sun while we ate. Pulled her in the garage and was amazed that I could actually see
even more bubbles that popped up and oil streams. What a bummer!!
Old 05-15-2018, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Find one from a 93 - mid 98 in the junkyard and snag it. I've done it over a dozen times by now and it's not really that hard. Just use a wiresaw to cut through the adhesive and it comes off fairly easily. Just takes patience and time more than anything.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You could always have one custom made by a good fiberglass fabricator. Of course, that will be very expensive compared to getting a used panel, but 6LE is the only other known source of reproduction panels at this time (if you don't want to hunt for a used one).

Personally, I wouldn't be able to ignore the issue. My '02 car had a horrible case of this, just like yours it would actually ooze from the bubbles and leave trails down the back window after driving at higher speeds. Not livable at all. Replacement was the only option. I would not be willing to own another '99+ car without replacing the roof (if it hasn't been already).
Old 05-15-2018, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Could always be worse. I have bubbles on the hatch too. No chance of me getting that fixed. Just too much work lol
Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Bubbling on 2001 Camaro

I have been looking for a fix on my 2001 Z 28 for six years. I have talked to the best paint and body shops in Houston and the answer from each was the same. The only permanent fix is to replace the panel. Only one company in the States that manufacturers these panels and I do not feel comfortable with doing business with them. I have decided that the only hope to get a replacement panel is from a junk yard in the greater Houston area. This process has been very frustrating.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Yep, I certainly feel y'alls pain. I have been contacting salvage yards that have parts on ebay, showing several salvage T-top Firebirds and Camaros and their reply has been that this part is not available.

My guess is, even though I explain exactly where the Sail Panel is, they don't want to fool with it. Oh well, the search goes on.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

My bubbles are only noticeable if you know what you are looking for (and at). I also have a persistent "oil stream" (never heard it referred to by that term before this thread) on the driver side. It seems to pop up every time the car is left outside for a day in hot weather. I've decided to just leave the panel as is, and write it off to "part of the charm of owning an old 4th Gen F-body). I considered getting the panel wrapped, but I understand that is just a very short term fix, as the bubbles just reappear. The car is garaged most of the time, so that seems to have kept my bubbles relatively obscure.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would look into getting a roof from a donor car. I had several junkyards within an hour or so from me that was willing to cut it out. The one I went with faxed me over a sheet and had me circle exactly what I wanted cut out. The job itself is not that difficult just time consuming and can be a little stressful when you're cutting up your own car. The biggest advantage of getting a donor roof is that you can practice on it before your car goes under the knife.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:38 PM
Teching In

UPDATE: Thanks to Tech Member Johnny59 I now have a replacement Sail Panel. He was able to locate and remove one for me and prepped it for final painting.
he was great to deal with.

So now fun begins. Thanks John.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

He is awesome. I may get a hold of him as well. Let me know who you take your car to. I am in Clarksville and have the same issue on my 22k mile car.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TNMIKE
UPDATE: Thanks to Tech Member Johnny59 I now have a replacement Sail Panel. He was able to locate and remove one for me and prepped it for final painting.
he was great to deal with.

So now fun begins. Thanks John.
how much was it if you don’t mind me asking?
Old 09-04-2018, 03:33 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I wonder if you can remove the existing one you have, clean ALL of the old adhesive off of it, pressure wash and degrease the be-jesus out of it, and wrap it in say a satin black. Then use a more friendly adhesive that won't bleed through.

Seems the easiest way.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I wonder if you can remove the existing one you have, clean ALL of the old adhesive off of it, pressure wash and degrease the be-jesus out of it, and wrap it in say a satin black. Then use a more friendly adhesive that won't bleed through.

Seems the easiest way.
It still won't work. The adhesive has permeated the old panel, so it will always have the issue. Even if you cleaned the old material off of the bottom surface of the panel, it's still saturated with the chemicals that cause the bubbling.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TechCam97
It still won't work. The adhesive has permeated the old panel, so it will always have the issue. Even if you cleaned the old material off of the bottom surface of the panel, it's still saturated with the chemicals that cause the bubbling.
that’s what I’ve read too

btw, what’s up fellow threxxer
Old 09-04-2018, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 35th SS #4923

that’s what I’ve read too

btw, what’s up fellow threxxer
Yea, it's a pain. And what's up!
Old 09-12-2018, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
Could always be worse. I have bubbles on the hatch too. No chance of me getting that fixed. Just too much work lol
I have bubbles on my hatch as well. They don't ooze or anything, just odd looking. Ironically, my sail panel doesn't have bubbles. Just a faint line where I can see where the glue was laid down but it hasn't broken through the paint.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

The 01 has some bubbles on the sail panel and it stays in the garage but the 99 with the V6 baking in the sun has zero bubbles on the panel. Go figure!