Our bubbling roof sail panels - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Our bubbling roof sail panels

Old 05-14-2018, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Default Our bubbling roof sail panels

I was just wondering how you guys with the bubbling issue are dealing with it. I thought I had a source from another TECH member but that bombed out. 6LE....well most of you know the problem there.

Me...I'm just disgusted I'm too old to scrounge junkyards and even if one is found it's obviously very difficult to remove it.

So how have you guys dealt with it?
Old 05-15-2018, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just let mine bubble away. Met a guy last week that painted over his. Guess what happened?
Bubbling coming back less than 6 months later. There is no option but to replace it if you don't want bubbles.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have a new 6LE panel that I've had for a few years waiting to go on whenever I have the money to do it and the several other body stuff it needs at the same time.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Teching In

I don't drive mine much and it stays in the garage. Wife and I took her out to go eat, about 30 mile round trip and sitting in the sun while we ate. Pulled her in the garage and was amazed that I could actually see
even more bubbles that popped up and oil streams. What a bummer!!
Old 05-15-2018, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Find one from a 93 - mid 98 in the junkyard and snag it. I've done it over a dozen times by now and it's not really that hard. Just use a wiresaw to cut through the adhesive and it comes off fairly easily. Just takes patience and time more than anything.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

You could always have one custom made by a good fiberglass fabricator. Of course, that will be very expensive compared to getting a used panel, but 6LE is the only other known source of reproduction panels at this time (if you don't want to hunt for a used one).

Personally, I wouldn't be able to ignore the issue. My '02 car had a horrible case of this, just like yours it would actually ooze from the bubbles and leave trails down the back window after driving at higher speeds. Not livable at all. Replacement was the only option. I would not be willing to own another '99+ car without replacing the roof (if it hasn't been already).
Old 05-15-2018, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Could always be worse. I have bubbles on the hatch too. No chance of me getting that fixed. Just too much work lol
Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Default Bubbling on 2001 Camaro

I have been looking for a fix on my 2001 Z 28 for six years. I have talked to the best paint and body shops in Houston and the answer from each was the same. The only permanent fix is to replace the panel. Only one company in the States that manufacturers these panels and I do not feel comfortable with doing business with them. I have decided that the only hope to get a replacement panel is from a junk yard in the greater Houston area. This process has been very frustrating.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Yep, I certainly feel y'alls pain. I have been contacting salvage yards that have parts on ebay, showing several salvage T-top Firebirds and Camaros and their reply has been that this part is not available.

My guess is, even though I explain exactly where the Sail Panel is, they don't want to fool with it. Oh well, the search goes on.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: