Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Color choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Color choices

So I'm about to buy a car back from the person I sold it to about a decade ago. It's a '96 Formula that came stock in the red-orange color, but I'm looking at other options for a repaint. I'm looking at a few options and wonder if anyone has tried them out on their cars. The first is black cherry, as originally found on mid 80's monte carlo ss cars. The second is hugger orange (but I wonder how it would look without a ram air or other aftermarket hood). Other options I've thought of are Dodge Viper Blue, Sunset Orange Metallic, and dark cherry (mid 90's impala ss cars - slightly different than the 80's monte's).
Anyone have cars painted in any of these colors, or any constructive input on these options?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2018, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I’ve got a 94 Formula that was painted SOM. I’ve never seen a 4th Gen painted in Black Cherry but in my opinion that would look very good.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is a beautiful car, Timeless design
Old 05-27-2018, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

I say go dodge strker orange.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:32 PM
Launching!

@banshe5 - You go and do something like that that makes me think of getting it re-sprayed the stock color. And with a ram-air hood to boot! But that orange is wild...everything sunset orange metallic wanted to be, plus some. I was also thinking another Dodge color, Destroyer Grey. Looks like I'm crossing off hugger orange and black cherry. So it'll be between a couple orange choices, destroyer grey, dark cherry (90's impala ss color) and a re-spray of the stock color.

Thanks for the replies. Now off to try to find existing examples of each for a better idea of what to do.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Another vote for red orange metallic/ cayenne red re-spray
Old 05-29-2018, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for the kind words. Believe it or not my car was actually painted SOM paint code but with Sikkens paint. It’s definitely a touch darker and deeper than factory. I’m very happy how it turned out. Honestly if you stay with the factory color which in my opinion is just as nice as SOM it’ll save you some money and aggravation. Keep us updated as I’m always happy to see any F-Body taken care of but for me personally, I just love the LT1 Birds. I turned 16 in 1994 and my father and I bought our red 94 Formula in 1995. We used to go to the drag strip together and my wife went down the track with me when she was pregnant with our first son (Tucker). My father has since passed away from cancer but the LT1 cars always make me remember and smile. Sorry for the personal trip down memory lane it’s just how I feel about these cars.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Another vote for red orange metallic/ cayenne red re-spray
ABSOLUTELY stunning car
Old 05-29-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by banshe5

ABSOLUTELY stunning car
thanks and back at ya. Your third picture down looks wicked.
I agree, I also prefer this color over som. Especially at like dawn the color just looks deep and rich.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96autoformula
So I'm about to buy a car back from the person I sold it to about a decade ago. It's a '96 Formula that came stock in the red-orange color, but I'm looking at other options for a repaint. I'm looking at a few options and wonder if anyone has tried them out on their cars. The first is black cherry, as originally found on mid 80's monte carlo ss cars. The second is hugger orange (but I wonder how it would look without a ram air or other aftermarket hood). Other options I've thought of are Dodge Viper Blue, Sunset Orange Metallic, and dark cherry (mid 90's impala ss cars - slightly different than the 80's monte's).
Anyone have cars painted in any of these colors, or any constructive input on these options?

Thanks
... this would be my choice ...

Old 10-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Ok, for an update on this, there's now a twist. I am going to be testing my hand at painting my own car(s) this spring. I also have a 96 Impala SS that is in need of a paint job. I have done rust repair work on the rear quarters, as well as spot painted these and other areas on with rattle cans (primer/paint/clear combination). The twist is that after I taught myself how to do rust repair and body prep work..now I'll be buying the components necessary to do my own painting. The first guinea pig will be the Impala SS (I have a lot less money in it, so it goes first). Then depending on how good I can get that to look, I'll figure out what color I want to shoot the Bird. The rub is that sunset orange metallic or the dodge striker orange would probably be a bit complicated to get right. Other colors may be a bit simpler, but we'll see.
But as it sits, I'm looking at one of the variations of the orange options or Dodge destroyer grey.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Conquest Fuji Blue is killer