Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

02 camaro ss t tops leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 camaro ss t tops leaking

my camaro came with several leaks. I have fixed my hatch leak but am having trouble with my ttops. Anyone have any permanent fixes where I can still use the t tops? Or possibly another seal to stack on the original seal to make a tighter fit. The water I believe is running down my seat belt. There are no drips. Its running down the side I believe. Thanks guys!

Last edited by liltaz1225; 05-31-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Miss spelled
Old 06-11-2018, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Hawk's Motorsports lists the GM weather stripping kits for both passenger and driver wide. New weather stripping professionally installed is probably the best bet to get the leak(s) stopped. The crew at Hawk's is also very knowledgeable about 3rd & 4th Gen cars and the weather stripping.

Soffseal makes a lot of ttop weather stripping. I'm not sure if they do 4th gen yet. The Soffseal is excellent but not quiet as good as the OEM GM.

The Hawk's Motorsports brand weather stripping is good not quiet as good as Soffseal. My 91 RS was restored with the Hawk's kit. The car doesn't leak. It took a while for it to set like six months. I also used the Hawk's door weather stripping on my 91 RS Convertible and it worked very well. Likewise, my girlfriend's son used a Hawk's kit on his 91 Z28 hardtop. It worked great.

As a last cheap resort some people use storm door weather stripping on top of the factory weather stripping. They just stick it on. Sometimes this works often it makes the leak worse by creating a bigger gap. I got away with it on my 91 RS for several years 2002-2008 when the now x-wife had a big issue with me spending any money on the old RS. It didn't leak but I looked like ****. I would NEVER recommend doing that band aid to anyone. It is a great way to get big leaks started that will rust out the floorboards.

Sometimes washing cleaning the ttops and the weather stripping helps. Putting a good conditioner like Meguiars on can help a little. Old friends with old 1968-1982 C3 vette would sometimes slather Vaseline all over the old rubber expecially when it touched the ttop panel. Sometimes that would get a leak paused for a while. It also made a nasty messy if you weren't careful with the Vaseline greased ttop panel if you took it out of the car. I never did this -New weather stripping is the best fix.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 06-11-2018 at 05:17 PM.