WS6 Hood Design Flaw? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

WS6 Hood Design Flaw?

Old 08-09-2018, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Default WS6 Hood Design Flaw?

I've got an aftermarket fiberglass WS6 hood and noticed some spider web cracking on both the outside edges at near identical spots on the hood. After looking at the underside of the hood, it appears these cracks appear exactly where the hood has designed with a notch on the sides. Obviously with this notch removed from the hood and it being fiberglass, it inevitably flexes while driving and opening/closing the hood. From what I can tell, the OEM WS6 hoods have the same design, but of course are made from a stronger material. I did some testing and fitting and it appears there's absolutely no reason that I can think of for such a design. Does anyone know why they would notch the hood in this way?? It seems like a terrible design flaw.

I had a conversation with my body guy and he said it would be beneficial to brace that notch with a small piece of steel and then fill it in with layers of fiberglass for stability. Then he would address the spider web cracks and repair them as needed. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Old 08-10-2018, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

The notch is there for safety, in the event of a crash the hood will buckle and fold rather than be shoved back and decapitate you. The reason for your cracks is your oem lift cylinders are to strong for the lighter hood causing it to flex when you close it. They sell softer cylinders for this reason.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:34 PM
Launching!

What brand is that hood
Old 08-10-2018, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z View Post
The notch is there for safety, in the event of a crash the hood will buckle and fold rather than be shoved back and decapitate you. The reason for your cracks is your oem lift cylinders are to strong for the lighter hood causing it to flex when you close it. They sell softer cylinders for this reason.
This guy nailed it.
As old as our fbodys can be a lot of thought went into engineering every part on these cars, crush zones and such ect..
Old 08-10-2018, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

When I was running around in the b-body world I was seeing a broken aftermarket hood every couple years. The hood shocks push up in the middle but the hinges and latch hold the ends down. After enough time goes by the hood splits in half, usually when trying to close the hood.

Make sure you use lower pressure hood shocks and if it still happens you may need to just run a single shock. With strong hinges and a light enough hood you can even get away with no shocks at all.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:30 PM
Launching!

I had the same thing happen with an aftermarket SS hood I had on an old Z28. Swapped out the shocks like the other guys mentioned above and I was good to go.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1nverted View Post
This guy nailed it.
As old as our fbodys can be a lot of thought went into engineering every part on these cars, crush zones and such ect..
The crumple zones thing makes sense on the original WS6 hoods that were made out of a different material, however since these are fiberglass reproductions, wouldn't the fiberglass be more brittle and just crack/snap in the event of a crash with or without this notch anyway? Obviously the reproduction hoods are meant to be exact replicas so it would make sense that they would also have the original crumple zone designs, but I'm wondering if they're needed on a fiberglass hood. I've also seen some other replica WS6 hoods that didn't have this notch.

If I were to repair/repaint this hood, would it be a bad idea to fill in that gap with additional fiberglass to reinforce that area? I'll obviously get weaker hood struts too to help mitigate the chance of reoccurrence.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSkull View Post
I had the same thing happen with an aftermarket SS hood I had on an old Z28. Swapped out the shocks like the other guys mentioned above and I was good to go.
What weaker shocks did you get? Where did you get them?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by steve126a View Post
What weaker shocks did you get? Where did you get them?
I want to know the same. I scored an junkyard ws6 hood for $40 and i need lighter shocks
Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

The VFN Sunoco hood on my 95 Z28 was super light, thought I was going to crack it with the stock hood latches, they were setup to open the much heavier metal hood.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by steve126a View Post
The crumple zones thing makes sense on the original WS6 hoods that were made out of a different material, however since these are fiberglass reproductions, wouldn't the fiberglass be more brittle and just crack/snap in the event of a crash with or without this notch anyway? Obviously the reproduction hoods are meant to be exact replicas so it would make sense that they would also have the original crumple zone designs, but I'm wondering if they're needed on a fiberglass hood. I've also seen some other replica WS6 hoods that didn't have this notch.

If I were to repair/repaint this hood, would it be a bad idea to fill in that gap with additional fiberglass to reinforce that area? I'll obviously get weaker hood struts too to help mitigate the chance of reoccurrence.
The original WS6 hood is also fiberglass I'm pretty sure. Only the flat hood is steel.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
The original WS6 hood is also fiberglass I'm pretty sure. Only the flat hood is steel.
A oem WS6 hood is made from SMC, sheet molded compound.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got my lighter hood struts from v.f.n. several years ago.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: