Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

airbrush questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbrush questions

im pretty good with a rattlecan and want to invest in an airbrush and some of those true fire stencils. but i have no idea where to start or what to get. anyone in here know whats up with this stuff and can help a n00b out.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The HOK website has a true fire colors kit, DVD and stencils. Thats what we used on my car.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sweet, thanks. what about the actual airbrushes though? are there any big differences?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Restricted User - Non Spon Soliciting

go to coastairbrush.com That is where I get all my materials. Go with a gravity feed airbrush. I use all Iwata guns, but there are othere, more affordable guns. They carry true fire kits with the dvd and shields to get you started. Let me tell you, once you get started, it never ends. It gets pricey very fast.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys ill check it out.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Well i know where you can get some ridiculous ideas and the stencils you need. For the stencils go to Killerpaint.com he was the inventor of the true fire. I am a custom painter for ESP East side honda Specialty performance and i paint mostly bikes. I do Murals real flames just about everything with an airbrush and the best one i have used which is about a hundred bucks is an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. True fire is harder than you think though it is alot of mapping, you really have to have the picture in your head before you start. You will see some awesome true fire on that web site that will blow your mind. Hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

KandySS is right...it gets expensive real quick
if i were you...i would spend good money on AT LEAST the airbrush. Get an Iwata Eclipse like said by Pheonix...its kinda pricey but def worth the money...it shoots an incrdible fine line, where the "off-brand" isnt as crisp. i started with an off brand and the upgrade to an Iwata made me realize the difference.
to start you dont realy need a huge compressor...just a little portable is good for beginners.
I would go to a good hobby store and check out their stuff. they will have everything you will need equipment wise. As for the True Fire DVD...the only one you want to buy is from Mike Lavellee...and just a quick tip...he has TWO DVD's for the true fire. The one that comes with the stencils is NOT the one that teaches you how to do the fire...in addition to that DVD you will want to buy "The Secrets Of Airbrushing True Fire" its a completely different dvd. the two DVD's and stencils together will be pricey...so i would advise you to buy "The Secrets Of..." only and they have similar stencils at a hobby store that do the same damn thing and are like 5 bucks.
anyhoo...sorry for writing a book...if yor confused...my bad lol
Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i think i got it. thanks for being so descriptive. what if i already have an air compressor? can i use that one? or does it require some sort of special air compressor?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An airbrush requires very little air volume. even one of those tint ten gallon tank home units would be enough for that. You don't need any stencils for true fire, either... it's almost all freehand. The places selling "kits" are just capitalizing on the popularity of the fire graphics. The only way to get good at it is to practice a LOT.
For a stencil I use a piece of "for sale" plastic sign with a rounded edge I sliced onto it with a razor blade. But the stencil isn't used to draw anything, it's only used to drop a hard edge against.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, ive seen a guy do it before on tv and he was using the stencil but most of the stencils just have rounded edges.