Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

WS6 driver side fender alignment

Old 11-02-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WS6 driver side fender alignment

Car had the 98+ WS6 front end conversion done on it, and whoever did it didn't do something right, because if the fender gets hot it shifts and the door hangs on it. Previous owner bought the car like that and it did it to him once or twice and did it to my wife today. Anyone got any info on how to get the fender off(never done it, probably just stumble through it), and a good way to be sure its aligned?
Old 11-02-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forgot to mention the fender is already bent where the former owner opened the door with it hung up, so if anyone might know where to get a replacement black fender that'd be awesome. Got a feeling there might be more wrong on this than just a bad fender install
Old 11-02-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a tab that is under the fender. This problem is caused by that tab getting bent. It has two screws on it. Most likely got bent from improperly jacking up the car.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll take a look. Is it possible to just straighten that and go on my way or would it be better to try to find a replacement fender?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is either the tab, it says do not jack right on it, but if it is bent just take a block of wood and hammer it straight. If its not that then chances are you have to adjust it from inside the fender. If you look in your door jam you will see where the fender bolts to the car, where the bolt goes is oval and it can be adjusted in and out. Reach in there if you can and loosen the bolt then adjust the fender slightly, tighten it back up.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome thanks for the tips guys! I'll check that out tomorrow, stuck at work tonight
Old 11-02-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't see any of the oval bolt holes inside by where the door swings open, but plenty in the engine bay. They look like they're adjusted all the way away from the door, which leads me to think the fenders sitting either too high or too low by the door. Any other ideas before I try to figure this out tomorrow?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm, I had this problem on my Camaro for the longest time and all I did was adjust the bolts in the fender and re-bend that tab at the bottom. Fixed me right up. Maybe your door is sagging and that's what needs to be adjusted.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it is sagging some, whats the way to fix that? I helped my pops many years ago do that to his 77 big block TA he had and I don't for the life of me remember how... I'll check the fender tab and the bolt position, but if someones got tips on the door thing that'd be awesome too..
Old 11-03-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

There are 2 hinges with 2 screws on the inside of the door. What you need to do, and it's a real bitch, is loosen the screws and with the help of a partner lift the door to the idle height, then tighten the screws. It takes some patience and a bit of time, but it can be done. Just keep loosening the screws and tightening them.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, buddy of mine and I had the same idea, but I'm going to be doing it alone, so I'm borrowing a jack and just going to go with it slow. Thanks for the advice
Old 11-03-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

No real luck on the fender or the door today... no luck on the wiper motor either lol... couldn't get the wiper arm off to try to get the old motor out, need some WD40 or something. Too many little damn things..... =(

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WS6 driver side fender alignment