Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Oh No!! Not another Camaro Wide Body Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cowl hood, maybe SS.. Stock bumper covers...Wider wheels would make it F'N Sweet. Love the Fenders just the bumpers bothering me. The hood is ok.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by McNord
You are probably right, The reason I bought them (knowing they werent exactly what I wanted) was that they were something to start with. I had been working on this project for about 6 months before I saw the ebay link. I had tried expanding foam=fail, block foam=fail, pvc sheets=fail, sheet metal=fail, I think any of those processes could have worked, but there was something stopping each one of them from working for me.
Yeah, sometimes projects just work out that way. We may see someone else try one of those other methods without a hitch!

Swat
Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=chrysler kid;10077908]found the pictures i was referring to. if you dont cut the original fenders its technically not going to do you any good, youll never be able to fit any sort of good looking wheel under that enormous fender.

here you can see a 240sx before they put the widebody fenders over it. cutting the original quarter panels allows you to fit wider wheels with a smaller offset back there so it can fill out the wheel well entirely. while my example is an EXTREME CASE AND NEVER TO BE DONE ON FBODIES im just trying to illustrate my point of cutting the original fender to the edge of the quarter to fit wider wheels

again you dont need to go extreme like this unless you plan on sitting on the gound with an airbag setup

/QUOTE]

That car is pretty cool, I like that! I have a very low profile die grinder that fits in the fender well perfectly, I was going to start cutting away once I had my new wheels & tires mounted up and put on. I didn't want to cut too much material out untill I knew exactly whare I needed to cut.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds good just making sure you didnt finish everything up without thinkin about that first
Old 09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Not a fan at all
Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like a bunch of work went into that. Think if you went back to just a regular z28 hood and got the calipers powdercoated black it would look much better though but that's just me.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks good! I've been waiting for someone to do this for a while. Any plans to paint the hood White and manta stripe it to match the wheels?
Old 09-12-2008, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great; you did great IMO. And I LOVE that hood!! Reminds me of old school muscle!! Where'd you get it???

Can't wait to see the finished/painted product
Old 09-12-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nifty97z
Looks great; you did great IMO. And I LOVE that hood!! Reminds me of old school muscle!! Where'd you get it???

Can't wait to see the finished/painted product
Thanks, Actually I made the hood, I used the stock hood and fiberglassed the L88 cowl onto it and cut a hole in the front of the hood (under the cowl) so the cold air coming in gets dumped right on top of my K&N intake. I know its not the prefered "lid style" intake, but I like it & it works out well for getting fresh air in through the hood and actually functions as more than asthetics & heat release like most cowl hoods anymore.

And the hood is staying black, I like it
Old 09-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Damn good job on those fenders. The whole car looks great! I just wish someone would make a kit for us TA owners.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good Work McNord!

I was the guy that started the widebody post and you helped me understand how much work would go into building a wide body replica. I think it turned very nice! Since you have some skill with fiberglass, have you thought about building a sunoco replica hood, which would make your car look pretty close to the dick harrell gmg car?

Congrats on having a mod many people want but few people have.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:26 AM
On The Tree

Several months back there was a thread talking about this, and there was a company "suposidly" making this kit. I think that fell through, no updates, details etc... There was also a link to an ebay auction for a set of fender flairs for the camaro, Only set in existance I think.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...QQcmdZViewItem A quick search found another. Nice work man, keep it up.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like everything but the rear lip in the wheel well. it is like 2" If there was a way to mod the stock fender before the panel goes on then I would be all over this. Also a Sunoco hood and those front bumper splitters! I am running 17x10 front and 17x11 rear but have matching 17x12 (335/35/17) I would love to run.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, Actually I made the hood, I used the stock hood and fiberglassed the L88 cowl onto it and cut a hole in the front of the hood (under the cowl) so the cold air coming in gets dumped right on top of my K&N intake. I know its not the prefered "lid style" intake, but I like it & it works out well for getting fresh air in through the hood and actually functions as more than asthetics & heat release like most cowl hoods anymore.

And the hood is staying black, I like it
Well if your hood was white it wouldn't atract as much heat from the sun either

And think about this, you are going the white/green theme, correct? Why not paint your hood to match your car and then paint from the extractor back in your color of green?!? I think that would go b/a with the gran sport stripes in green as well!!! This would also help your black accenting stand out as well as make your green accenting come to life
Old 09-13-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i love it, major props for being different.

specially like how your not trying to make it a clone of a dick harrel car or what ever they are called, but instead making a fresh new idea
Old 09-14-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get some molds of your panels. ASAP.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Get some molds of your panels. ASAP.
he dont need to mold the panels, Look up a few posts and there is a set on ebay right now.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes he does need to mold panels... so he can make some $$$$$
Old 09-15-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great work getting them to fit. Can't wait to see it painted with the new wheels

Quick Reply: Oh No!! Not another Camaro Wide Body Thread!