Notices

Browsing for a motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 05:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Browsing for a motor

There are a ton of adds to go through in the classifieds and I'm sure that a lot of people that have a motor for sale have let their add settle or not even posted it up so I thought I'd request info on ones that are for sale.
staying no more than 4k-ish

What I am looking for: I have not firmly settled on any particular setup just yet for my swap, leaning towards an LQ4 or LQ9, 408, or 6.0 but I am staying open minded.
may also entertain a Pontiac 400 or 455

That said I'm also open to it being a clean block only, short block, long block or complete motor.

Looking for something that when I see it I say "That's it I gotta have it"

PM me info and I can give you my email or phone number to exchange info.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

Try your local Facebook and Craig's List ads for ease of pickup local to you. I got mine from some people at a local speed shop that had previously done some work for me. So do some walking around at these places and one will turn up though you are asking for some of the rarer, more valuable engines. Also, develop a relationship with your local junk yards to see if you can snag one as it comes into the yard. Pay them a small finders fee to call you before the vehicle gets sent out into their yard. Around here at many of the yards, any running engine gets painted with those psychedelic / funkadelic paints to denote that it is a functional part - gets them more money at the pay counter. Approaching them to first set one of these rare engines aside before painting is the way to go.

Doing it all through these places will also allow you to grab its transmission, powertrain control module, wiring harness, OBD II port and drive by wire accelerator pedal, if required - all at one time as a package deal. They may even pull these parts for you for a small fee and hoist it into your pickup truck.

Do you have an engine hoist? I had to wait for a chance to borrow one from a friend but I have one from Harbor Freight now and it has the fold up legs so that does not take up so much room in the shop.

Rick
Old 02-04-2018, 06:47 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the great info Rick, I do keep an eye out on my local CL but haven't hit the junk yards.

I do have a hoist, engine stand, everything needed.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you located? helps for people to know if your local to them.
sometimes shipping is a pain with a motor, so picking it up in person may make it easier.
i have a couple blocks sitting around that would probably be gone if i felt like shipping them, which i dont.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 89LS1RS
where are you located? helps for people to know if your local to them.
sometimes shipping is a pain with a motor, so picking it up in person may make it easier.
i have a couple blocks sitting around that would probably be gone if i felt like shipping them, which i dont.
Sorry... yes I'm sure that would help
I'm located in the St Louis area. About 1 hr west
Old 02-04-2018, 11:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

If something goes south with this, I'll let you know. The guy came yesterday to drop off a top end and pay me to finish it off, plus paid for engine. He called later and realized it was a Gen IV, and his truck he was swapping has a Gen III currently. I told him I would refund his money if he couldn't figure it out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...-new-sold.html
Old 02-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

I have found the motor I want thanks to SS99Z51 - Great guy to deal with. Now I just need to get it done.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this 408 im about to post up.LS3 heads with Vic jr, K1/Weisco internals,Bullet can, prosystems carb set up with MSD/GM distributor drive ran 9.50’s in only 150 shot at 3500lbs. Pm if interested
Attached Thumbnails Browsing for a motor-eb29e7e5-bb3f-4494-908c-1d95ea22b023.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Browsing for a motor