Notices

WTB: LS1 Rear Cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default WTB: LS1 Rear Cover

Hey guys,

I think I've slightly stripped the long bolt holes in my rear cover, so I'm looking for a new (well, used) one. As long as the bolt holes aren't stripped I'm happy.

PM or email (webmonger@terminalfear.com)

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the rear end /differential cover? IIRC, the cover just has holes. So if you stripped some threads that would be in the housing, not the cover. Or are you talking about an aftermarket cover, like the one from TAPerformance?

You should be able to helicoil that hole, or possibly drill and tap one size bigger.

Let me know if I misunderstood you,

David
Old 07-21-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope, sorry, I'm looking for the rear engine cover, that contains the rear main seal and bolts to the back of the block and oil pan.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

ok, but same thing, the cover just has bolt holes. The threaded holes are in the block. you will need to get a helicoil kit at AutoZone or Pepboys.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have one 45.00 shipped
Old 07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
ok, but same thing, the cover just has bolt holes. The threaded holes are in the block. you will need to get a helicoil kit at AutoZone or Pepboys.
No, they're not in the block, they run from the oil pan up into the rear cover, not the block. (two ~7" long bolts) The rest of the bolts go into the block (these are the bolts on the actual cover). I promise I'm not quite as dumb as I look.

I actually tore the engine down again last night (pulling it is becoming a weekly endeavor) and chased the threads and put in new bolts, and they went to torque without spinning. I may still need a cover, but I'm going to wait till tomorrow night to see if it leaks after my cleaning and RTV'ing binge last night. Jimmy, I'll let ya know.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-22-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

oops, you're right. I forgot about those. You should still be able to repair the thread with a helicoil kit much cheaper than buying a new one. Autozone sells the tool and a few (one size) helicoils for like $20.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: WTB: LS1 Rear Cover