Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car runs bad with new motor no power

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car runs bad with new motor no power

I had a twin turbo setup and had it tuned with my big stuff by a tuner. No problems with that then decided to go to nitrous because of the problems associated with the turbo. I have a 408 that I bought off somebody else andwent through the whole motor and freshened it up. It was built by lme originally and had a gmpp carbed intake with a carb on the motor. I changed it back to fi with injectors, elbow and nw 90mm tb. Is it possible there is no reluctor wheel on cam for signal? Or wrong sensor in it etc? Since it was built to be carbureted? It idles poorly and has no power, will not accelerate at all. Pulled plugs and most look like never been fired or barely fired, have a few that look like they have been buring good. I checked all basics, grounds, fuel pressure, injector harness on correctly, coils working and plugged in, new wires, new plugs again tr6's. Don't know if cam signal would create this or if that is it. Motor sounds great when running....any help would be appreciated. Also it is a 408 iron block with ls7 ported heads
Old 05-04-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm assuming your new motor being operated by the BS3 system?

The reluctor wheel pick-up may be different then what is set in your system.....or as you indicated, you may be missing one.

On the BS3, you should be able to set it to batch fire and that overides any cam sensor problem. However, if the crank reluctor wheel is not setup properly then that will be difficult to get around.

Are you doing a forward crank pick-up or are you pigtailed into the existing crank pick-up?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NoGo
I'm assuming your new motor being operated by the BS3 system?

The reluctor wheel pick-up may be different then what is set in your system.....or as you indicated, you may be missing one.

On the BS3, you should be able to set it to batch fire and that overides any cam sensor problem. However, if the crank reluctor wheel is not setup properly then that will be difficult to get around.

Are you doing a forward crank pick-up or are you pigtailed into the existing crank pick-up?
I am using the bs3 I checked the cam it has a wheel and was told some of the cams have reversed wheels and to switch the a & C wires on the cam sensor and see if that fixes it but would not start at all that way. I have the 24 tooth reluctor on the crank and was all checked out well when installed. I attached my crank and cam sensors directly into the bs3. And the car ran fine with the old motor and nothing electronically was changed just swapped the new motor in....
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Try a timing light and make sure that the timing you are commanding is what is getting to the motor. If so, most likley your crank/pick-up and such is working properly.

How does your a/f look? Is the motor lean? Do you smell gas?

Do you have good fuel atomization? You mentioned that you changed the intake design. Is it a standard setup, or something custom with the existing carb intake?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Try a timing light and make sure that the timing you are commanding is what is getting to the motor. If so, most likley your crank/pick-up and such is working properly.

How does your a/f look? Is the motor lean? Do you smell gas?

Do you have good fuel atomization? You mentioned that you changed the intake design. Is it a standard setup, or something custom with the existing carb intake?
Its blowing a lot of burnt fuel out the exhaust
Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you may have a few holes that aren't doing much other then pumping.

I would encourage checking for spark on every cylinder.

I would also encourage checking the timing with a timing light.

Have you done a leak down to ensure that the motor is assembled properly. I'm not talking anything catastrophic, but something like your pushrods being too long and hanging the intake valves open?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you may have a few holes that aren't doing much other then pumping.

I would encourage checking for spark on every cylinder.

I would also encourage checking the timing with a timing light.

Have you done a leak down to ensure that the motor is assembled properly. I'm not talking anything catastrophic, but something like your pushrods being too long and hanging the intake valves open?
I reloaded the program from my laptop to the car and it started and ran great! Thanks for your help.