Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning ideas for a '05 GP GXP with LS4

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning ideas for a '05 GP GXP with LS4

Guys, I am in a bit of a pickle here and didn't know if any of you experienced tuners or students of tuning theory could help me out. I have an 05 Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3L LS4 engine. I have made a custom fenderwell intake that is wrapped in header wrap to negate heatsoak, and replaced the stock mufflers with Flowmaster Super 44's, so I have increased air-flow, decreased IAT's and decreased back-pressure. I have a friend who has HP tuners and owes me a tune but he is used to tuning cobalts with 4-bangers in em. My question is what should I change in my tune to get the most out of my mods? My car is running super rich ESPECIALLY at WOT. It almost bogs down at WOT because it pours so much gas in. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks gents!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Remove any torque management, up the timing and lean out the AFR to a more desirable level.

Then fine tune the VE table using fuel trims, or with a wideband.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

can i guy a wideband O2 sensor and get a bung welded into my downpipe so that the tuner can hook up a wideband? thanks man somebody said that I might have to do something with the MAF because of the intake, have any ideas? or was that BS?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wideband would be the ideal way of doing it, and you can fine tune the MAF portion of the tune, but it's not necessary.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

I don't know if it's the MAF that's off, but when it's really hot outside my car runs great, when it's 50 degrees or less the car runs HORRIBLE so I didn't know if reclocking the MAF would help with that, thanks man. I will buy a wideband O2 sensor and get a bung welded in behind the factory narrowband.