PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't use A/C in traffic, but fine on the hwy... is it my tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can't use A/C in traffic, but fine on the hwy... is it my tune?

Hey guys, my car dies when at a red light, or pretty much anytime I'm at a stop with the A/C on. When it's off, for the most part the car runs fine. But not being able to use my A/C sucks... would it be something else?

Mods:

'99 TA M6
LQ4 6.0
AFR 205's milled 59cc
224R Cam (224/224 .581 114)
BBK Intake Manifold
LT's, ORY, Magnaflow CB
BBK FR's
36# F.A.S.T. Injectors
other irrelevant stuff...
Old 07-21-2009, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Have you tried checking the freon level to see if its low? As with it dieing out, maby the AC is putting too much drag on the engine. Whats your idle at?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know you have an idle table that you can increase/decrease the idle RPM with, or without AC on. Mine does it sometimes to. I wouldn't know any other tables to change though.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not sure what the values should be, but stock the computer is set to increase RPM and Activate fans(low for regular AC, High for max) while its on.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white2001formula
I know you have an idle table that you can increase/decrease the idle RPM with, or without AC on. Mine does it sometimes to. I wouldn't know any other tables to change though.
I wouldn't change anything there, there is a compressor tq loss table to look at as well as a few other tables that spec how quickly the extra comes in and goes out. I would make sure it is not a physical issue as noted in an above post.

Though, it sounds like some tuning touchup may be needed, it's worth noting that idle air trimming has it's own tables for AC. You MAY be able to fight through keeping it running sitting still and see if you can get those airflow trims learning in the right direction. They move very slowly, so it may take some time. I'd mess with it idling at home with AC on and keeping it running (start with engine temp >170) too see if that airflow learning can get you covered.

Last edited by Frost; 07-21-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-21-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Frost
They move very slowly, so it may take some time. I'd mess with it idling at home with AC on and keeping it running (start with engine temp >170) too see if that airflow learning can get you covered.
I'll give that a try Frost thanks!

If it doesn't fix it, I'll have the tune looked at again to see if there's anything "off" a little...