Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

testing air to fuel ratio HP tuners or wide band

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default testing air to fuel ratio HP tuners or wide band

I'm wondering can the air fuel ratio be tested w/ HP tuners though the obd2 port?

or do you have to have a wide band?

or both HP tuners and a wide band?

sorry to be such a complete noob
someone please explain this to me.

Last edited by badmfkr; 11-17-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use HP Tuners, if you have the pro and a wideband.

Your best bet though is to get a wideband controller. The NGK AFX seems to be the favorite around here. Its also the cheapest.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default GM tech2 tester

will the GM tech2 tester connected to the obd2 port show air to fuel ratio? or is a wide band still required?

if yes will it show each cylinder?

so HP tuners will only show duty cycle of a fuel injector?

a friend of mine has a nitrous Mustang he uses this NGK it's kindof big where is a suggested place to mount it in the WS6?

thanks for feedback.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Banned

you will need a wideband to read air fuel, no matter what. The regular O2 sensors are narrow band, and are constantly switching between lean and rich. You cannot get a reliable afr reading using them. The Tech2 will not be any different than HPtuners.

If anything, you dont need to keep the AFX mounted in your car. You can velcro it to the dash for while your tuning or at the track and then take it off for everyday driving when your not tuning. The AFX is nice though since its output can be used with the HPtuners Pro unit and AFR logging can be done directly in the scanning software.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default bung installation?

sounds like I'll need a WB to analize this air to fuel ratio correctly.

? the narrow band A/F ratio I had was a turd it was constantly moving (drove me nuts mainly at night) however from the little I know they are good for one thing WOT A/F ratio is this correct? or was it a complete piece of crape? I gave $70. for it.

I've sean videos on the net on installing a wide band bung they used a cone type drill bit.

? the dude that helps me w/ welding stuff does'nt have this cone shaped drill bit he wanted to use a cutting torch to make the hole for the WB bung.

what do you suggest should I go out and buy this cone shaped (expensive) drill bit?

Lastly
?so HP tuners will only show duty cycle of a fuel injector? will it also show CFM and can these values be mathimatically formulated in a equation to show A/F ratio?

sorry for being such a noob, however I'm learning and so are others that are reading & unwilling to post & admit noobness.
Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 11-17-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Banned

Not really. Narrow band O2's are designed to switch constantly from lean to rich. Period. They cannot be used to safely determine your air/fuel ratio, even under WOT...

You need a wideband controller. Have your exhaust guy use a cutting torch, it will be fine. A bung needs to be welded in place anyways.

Get the AFX and be happy.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

...............also, hptuners will show you the a/f ratio the computer is TRYING to command but its math based and inaccurate unless the rest of the tune is dialed in correctly. You should get a wideband they are real nice to have.

Quick Reply: testing air to fuel ratio HP tuners or wide band