PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What questions should you ask your tuner?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Default What questions should you ask your tuner?

I realize I'm probably asking this too late but what things should you ask your tuner when you have your car tuned?

Regardless of who it is someone always has something negative to say about a tuner. It's like anything else, regardless if its a shop, sponsor or company there will always be negative comments.

The reasons behind the negative comments can vary from bruised egos, the customer thinks they know more than the person doing the work down to the person doing the work really doesn't know what the **** they are doing.

It's been said you can do 100 things right but you will only hear about the one thing you did wrong. Sometimes you didn't do anything wrong but its one of the other reasons I listed above.

With the availability of tuning software, a lot of people "think" they can tune a car. This holds true to anything in the automotive field not just tuning.

I consider myself an A-personality type. Someone who needs/has to be in control of most situations I find myself in. My current job and past careers emphasize that.

I got my car dyno tuned this past week and found myself at being at a disadvantage. Here I am letting a person that I really don't know that much about tuning my pride and joy. A car that I have worked on for the past 8 months trying to do everything right on.

I suddenly found myself venerable because my car was in someone else's hands and I had no idea what was going on. Make fun of me if you like but if you are like me and I think most people on here are, that's a damn bad feeling.

On the drive home I questioned everything. Did I take it to the right guy, did he spend the time on it to make it perfect, etc.

I am having some issue's with my combo and I'm not throwing my tuner under the bus. I know it's easy to blame the tuner on the lack of power/performance. If I did something wrong in my build I will be the first one to say I messed up. That's just how I am.

There are so many good/bad tuner threads out there what should an average car guy that knows nothing about tuning ask their tuner?

Sorry for the long winded post but I hope to get some good people in here for answers.

J
Old 04-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is really nothing to ask. Previous work that the tuner has done should speak for itself. The only real way to have a good sense of what was done is to ask for printouts of everything. I prefer my car be tuned on a dyno jet for the sole purpose of seeing before/after runs, the A/F chart, timing maps, etc.

Taking all the data and sharing it and asking around can net you some good advice.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Obviously the bigger name tuners are gonna be fine. There are enough of their tunes running around that if they weren't up to snuff then someone would know it by now.

As far as using someone not as well known, well its hard to say. There are plenty of people that can talk something up, especially when you don't know that much about what they are talking about.

Even knowing people that have had tunes from a specific tuner doesn't necessarily mean anything. Those cars may run good, but without knowing who's to say that it's the best that it can be. Or just because their setup works for them doesn't mean yours will work as good if the tuner doesn't know what he's doing.

I've had tunes that were not that good, but on my bolt on cars it didn't really matter. Then my friends get there cars tuned at the same place and they drive worse after they left than when they got there, but they are $400-500 poorer. However, I would never know that for sure if I hadn't learned how to tune myself.

And dyno tuning isn't the way to judge a tuner. It takes very little skill or knowledge to get the correct WOT AFR and hp. Doesn't mean that it was done the correct way.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 04-27-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by White'89
There is really nothing to ask.
Really?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Obviously the bigger name tuners are gonna be fine. There are enough of their tunes running around that if they weren't up to snuff then someone would know it by now.

This is far from the truth. On most forums including this one, most negative post about a sponsor get deleted. So when you do a search you will either never find anything bad or maybe just a couple post. I seen tunes from alot of "big" shops many on here and believe me they are all not the same quality. Also just because some tunes a 7 or 8 second race car with BS3 or Fast XFI doesnt mean they will do a great job on your stock pcm 9 second car.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I realize I'm probably asking this too late but what things should you ask your tuner when you have your car tuned?

J
IMO when someone is looking for a tuner or even a shop they should almost be asking questions like a job interview. After all you are in theory looking to hire them for a job or project. I like to ask alot of my questions in conversation so its just doesnt seem like 20 questions but I also will ask some things directly.

Some general things I like to find out:

How long have they been tuning

What software do they use

What do they mostly tune and what et(na, N20, turbo, bolt on, 8sec,9sec,10sec..etc)

What kind of vehicle do they mostly tune (truck, car, suv, etc)
Do they lock the pcm

How much are re-tunes

Ask for reference's...they have to have something to take you for a ride in, or something to show you there work. Every shop I know of has a employee's car, customer car or a shop car that they can show off there work. Ask around.....if you hear a ton of negative things about a certain tuner they may be a good reason.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by minytrker
This is far from the truth. On most forums including this one, most negative post about a sponsor get deleted. So when you do a search you will either never find anything bad or maybe just a couple post. I seen tunes from alot of "big" shops many on here and believe me they are all not the same quality. Also just because some tunes a 7 or 8 second race car with BS3 or Fast XFI doesnt mean they will do a great job on your stock pcm 9 second car.
I said big name tuners. Not big name shops. I'm not referring anyone to Vengeance. But you are right about forum sponsors.

And I bet you can call Carolina Auto Masters with the list of questions that you have there and I bet he can honestly answer everyone that you have with an answer that you want to hear. And I know people that will still swear by him and there cars actually do run good, but do a poll on here and see how much good feedback you get.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by minytrker
IMO when someone is looking for a tuner or even a shop they should almost be asking questions like a job interview. After all you are in theory looking to hire them for a job or project. I like to ask alot of my questions in conversation so its just doesnt seem like 20 questions but I also will ask some things directly.

Some general things I like to find out:

How long have they been tuning

What software do they use

What do they mostly tune and what et(na, N20, turbo, bolt on, 8sec,9sec,10sec..etc)

What kind of vehicle do they mostly tune (truck, car, suv, etc)
Do they lock the pcm

How much are re-tunes
Those are all good questions. When I took my car to the shop to get it tuned, I didnt hammer them interrogation style & I dont think thats a good approach. I recall asking them what software they used, if they lock the PCM, & who was gonna be tuning my car. The guy I was expecting to do it didnt but I felt confident from a buddies recommendation to take it to that shop as he has taken several cars there for tunes & all went well. I could tell the guy was a lil new but he did a good job. I did have to take it back so they could fix the idle, it kept stalling but its been fine ever since.
Ask for reference's...they have to have something to take you for a ride in, or something to show you there work. Every shop I know of has a employee's car, customer car or a shop car that they can show off there work. Ask around.....if you hear a ton of negative things about a certain tuner they may be a good reason.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
I said big name tuners. Not big name shops. I'm not referring anyone to Vengeance. But you are right about forum sponsors.

And I bet you can call Carolina Auto Masters with the list of questions that you have there and I bet he can honestly answer everyone that you have with an answer that you want to hear. And I know people that will still swear by him and there cars actually do run good, but do a poll on here and see how much good feedback you get.
Well most tuners are connected to some shop and almost every big shop has a tuner if that makes sense.
That is a very good point about CAM, your probably right he would tell you what you wanted to him. BUT a quick search on almost any forum and it will get ugly fast. Im not sure how he stays in business to be honest. I am sure there are many others that can and will answer all those questions with what you want to hear. But usually whens thats the case you hear alot of negative feedback also. There isnt a 100% full proof way to screen any shop or tuner, all are going someone not like them for whatever reason.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Those are all good questions. When I took my car to the shop to get it tuned, I didnt hammer them interrogation style & I dont think thats a good approach. I recall asking them what software they used, if they lock the PCM, & who was gonna be tuning my car. The guy I was expecting to do it didnt but I felt confident from a buddies recommendation to take it to that shop as he has taken several cars there for tunes & all went well. I could tell the guy was a lil new but he did a good job. I did have to take it back so they could fix the idle, it kept stalling but its been fine ever since.
Everyone makes mistakes sometimes or misses a check box when cutting off a code. When you have a problem and go back, how they handle it is whats important to me. The tuner could have handled your situation two ways:
1) blame you or your car or make up excuses why it isnt right
2) be honest and say he missed something in the idle tables or had something off and just fix it

The shops and tuners that do (1) are the ones you have to watch out for.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

#1 - Do you lock the PCM ("Yes" = walk)
#2 - Do you have tune files from similarly modded cars that have
been proven?
#3 - Where do you put the wideband sensor? ("tailpipe" = walk.
"Don't need it" = walk)
#4 - Do you touch "drivability" or just WOT? What is your do-over
policy if something isn't right afterward?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I hope this thread can help some people out.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
#1 - Do you lock the PCM ("Yes" = walk)
#2 - Do you have tune files from similarly modded cars that have
been proven?
#3 - Where do you put the wideband sensor? ("tailpipe" = walk.
"Don't need it" = walk)
#4 - Do you touch "drivability" or just WOT? What is your do-over
policy if something isn't right afterward?
All good questions. Drivability is key when tuning and is VERY often over looked. This goes for simple stuff like tuning for cold start too, very often missed.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle02
All good questions. Drivability is key when tuning and is VERY often over looked. This goes for simple stuff like tuning for cold start too, very often missed.
I'll agree with this. The tune is about drivability, almost anybody can throw it on a dyno and tune timing/ fuel. Cold starts is a problem since 90 percent of our tunes the customers will not leave the car. So cold starts can be guess work.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah my cold starts leave a little bit to be desired but taking the car back and leaving it over night really isn't an option.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What questions should you ask your tuner?