LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   PCM Diagnostics & Tuning (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning-7/)
-   -   Diablo Predator Worth it? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/1434830-diablo-predator-worth.html)

needtransam 06-15-2011 03:35 PM

Diablo Predator Worth it?

My friend is selling a Diablo Predator, is it worth it? its the U7198 just wondering how much can I do with it, I just have bolt ons nothing crazy but want to see if its worth it?

cookba 06-15-2011 03:41 PM

nope!

MonmouthCtyLS7 06-15-2011 03:43 PM

fun tool to play around w/ but it wont add any power....get a mail order here, much cheap and it'll actually give you some ponies.

99Bluz28 06-15-2011 04:10 PM

You can use it to check for codes and clear them, set rev limiter up/down, turn off skip-shift, raise/lower idle speed, adjust cooling fans on/off temperatures,there's also a bunch of adjustments you can make for a auto trans. If you want it for a power increase, forget it! IMO get it if you want it for some of the adjustments you can make/check, and if you can get it dirt cheap ($100 or less).

MR_M 06-15-2011 04:20 PM

How much is he selling it to you for? I bought one and it definitely made a noticeable difference with my car (after straightening out fuel trims and adjusting timing, shift points and firmness, etc). I wouldn't use the premade tune that comes with it though. You can adjust many things with it as well as use it for a code scanner and a datalogger.

If you do end up buying it just make sure that it isn't locked to his car still. Otherwise it If you don't already know, there is a forum on the diablosport website that deals directly with the use of the their products. That would be a good place to look to help give you a better understanding of the predator and it's capabilities.

needtransam 06-15-2011 04:26 PM

So its not worth it then? he is selling it for $180 shipped so not sure if its worth it?, I was going to go with a frost tune or texas speed mail in order tune, but was wondering since they told me you can custom tune too with the preadator??

quicksilverZ 06-15-2011 04:27 PM

With just bolt-on's on my car I've used mine along with my wideband to tune WOT A/F and the fuel trims and such. It made a difference, but it's no custom tune, nice for the DIY'er if it's cheap enough.

Mike@Diablosport 06-15-2011 04:39 PM

For those who say it won't add any power...how much time have you spent with our tunes on the dyno or at the track?

On a stock/bolt on car, it should add a solid 10-15 rwhp, and drop ET's by an average of .2 in the 1/4 mile.
Adding the Predator tune to my 99 Z28 a few years ago took me from 13.40s to 13.20s all day, no other changes, no custom tuning. I got it down a bit more by dialing in the WOT shift points, then by dialing in the AFR on a dyno.

Beyond that, having the ability to adjust part throttle shift points (biggest SOTP improvement you can make in a street car), line pressures, rev limits, spark and fueling, and datalog without a laptop make it one of the best bangs ofr your tuning buck in the industry.

Keep in mind the tools can accept customtunes when you get to that point, and its even more worthwhile ;)

needtransam 06-15-2011 05:18 PM

Can you log with the predator and look at the information on a PC???

Mike@Diablosport 06-15-2011 09:26 PM

Yes...or you can live stream it to a PC if you desire.

The dataviewer software is free on our website, feel free to check it out, there are a few sample logs you can view.

Mike@Diablosport 06-15-2011 09:28 PM

Make sure its not a really old tool...they do not log.

StealthB4C2002 06-16-2011 09:12 AM

don't buy it.. i had purchased a brand new one from summit racing.. it gave my camaro nothing but issues.. including air system. abs.. it also with there""setup" burned my cats up. the abs code code and label didn't even match the gm meaning to the code. an i spent tons of money an replaced every single part of my air system going by the code an nothing at all fixed it.. took the tuner out.. an my factory back in an had no code issues at all. not saying diablo is bad for all applications, we love one we purchased for my girls lifted 03 ram. works flawless.. just feel there camaro package blows.

find a local tuner.. i used Shawn from top gear motor sports in AZ, he was in GM performance magazine. he specialized in ls1 fbodys. Awesome guy. great rates.. killer tune up..

put my b4c from a 13.5 to a 13.0 car.

Mike@Diablosport 06-16-2011 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by StealthB4C2002 (Post 15046124)
don't buy it.. i had purchased a brand new one from summit racing.. it gave my camaro nothing but issues.. including air system. abs.. it also with there""setup" burned my cats up. the abs code code and label didn't even match the gm meaning to the code. an i spent tons of money an replaced every single part of my air system going by the code an nothing at all fixed it.. took the tuner out.. an my factory back in an had no code issues at all. not saying diablo is bad for all applications, we love one we purchased for my girls lifted 03 ram. works flawless.. just feel there camaro package blows.

find a local tuner.. i used Shawn from top gear motor sports in AZ, he was in GM performance magazine. he specialized in ls1 fbodys. Awesome guy. great rates.. killer tune up..

put my b4c from a 13.5 to a 13.0 car.

Sorry to hear you had issues, but I can honestly say in 5 years here that I have never, ever, seen anything like what you are describing. I have tuned almost every F-body I know of locally as well, and never seen an issue, including my buddy's 02 B4C.

Feel free to browse our forums, I assure you that you won't find anyone ever reporting issues on f-bodies, especially AIR or ABS issues.

Thanks

StealthB4C2002 06-20-2011 11:10 AM

i called your wonderful FL OFFICE an they seemed unable to assist or answer.. even why a gm code and your programmers definition was wrong. ill stick with a custom tune when it comes to a ls1 thanks tho

Mike@Diablosport 06-20-2011 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by StealthB4C2002 (Post 15061147)
i called your wonderful FL OFFICE an they seemed unable to assist or answer.. even why a gm code and your programmers definition was wrong. ill stick with a custom tune when it comes to a ls1 thanks tho

Chances are you spoke to me....if not, whomever you spoke to would have asked me as I have been in this office the longest, and as mentioned here, I would not have had an answer for that, as it is not something we have ever seen to be an issue...

Again, sorry about your issues.

Thanks

153624-rudolf 09-28-2018 08:04 AM

Don't waste the money.

8.Lug 09-28-2018 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 153624-rudolf (Post 19976686)
Don't waste the money.

He was waiting 7 years just for your input.

153624-rudolf 09-28-2018 11:44 AM

Wow... Didn't even notice that. I'm new to this online stuff so still learning. Sorry about that.

G Atsma 09-28-2018 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by 153624-rudolf (Post 19976784)
Wow... Didn't even notice that. I'm new to this online stuff so still learning. Sorry about that.

Don't sweat it! Happens to newbies all the time. You post still has merit though.

153624-rudolf 09-28-2018 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 19976861)
Don't sweat it! Happens to newbies all the time. You post still has merit though.

Thanks. I'll tell you, wish I knew about this site years ago. Lots of good stuff, thoughts, and facts I've spent countless hours and money gaining some of the knowledge people put in here. Hope I can do the same for others.