PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 z28 error during writing tune. PCM fried.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 z28 error during writing tune. PCM fried.

2002 camaro z28. I have a diablo handheld that came with the car when I purchased it. I just use it to pull timing for the nitrous basically. I put in a new stall and was having some 2-3 shift problems at the track so I tried raising the shift rpm.

During the writing process, there was an error:
1.) Then it asked to recover, then it had an error in the process.
2.) Wouldn't recognize the vin.
3.) Wouldn't recognize my ignition being on.

The battery was dead after that. I also recall seeing code 402 or something to that note.

My friend plugged his hp tuners into the obdII port and it wont make a connection either. At this point I know my computer is fried. I have also replaced the battery as well.

I talked to the techline at diable and was basically told my handheld is from roughly 05 to 06, has no back up, and that they wouldn't want to touch it. They did offer to update it for $99.

Whats to blame?
The handheld
A voltage spike

My question is, can I purchase a used computer and flash it to the stock tune and then use the updated diable?

And how can I find out if my diablo is to blame? I would hate to purchase a new computer and plug the diable in and fry the new one.

Thanks guys. I did copy my post from the diablo tech site.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Your battery going dead most likely is to blame, not sure on the handheld tuning you need to get hp tuner
Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 PM
FormerVendor

We unbrick PCM's
Old 08-06-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you replace the PCM...if you upgrade to tuning software...you can write calibrations only...can't fry the PCM doing that.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CalEditor@PCMCalibrators
We unbrick PCM's
You mean unlock? Idk if you typod or something. Idk the process of buying a used pcm. Coming from a fox body, you could swap in any computer due to being obd1. If I buy someones used computer, what would be the process in getting it into my car and starting without any issues.

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
When you replace the PCM...if you upgrade to tuning software...you can write calibrations only...can't fry the PCM doing that.
I don't understand what you are saying? Are you speaking about the newer diablo stuff?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:57 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by flattusmaximus78
You mean unlock? Idk if you typod or something. Idk the process of buying a used pcm. Coming from a fox body, you could swap in any computer due to being obd1. If I buy someones used computer, what would be the process in getting it into my car and starting without any issues.

I don't understand what you are saying? Are you speaking about the newer diablo stuff?
We repair PCM's
Old 08-07-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

that you bricked your pcm is another way of saying you fried it. your pcm does not function now, so it is just a paperweight or a brick.

good to know theres a vendor out there than can help out.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CalEditor@PCMCalibrators
We repair PCM's
What is the cost on repairing the pcm or how it works. Sorry for not understanding the lingo earlier guys, makes mroe than enough sense lol. Pm me if you want to^
Old 08-07-2011, 06:45 PM
FormerVendor

look at my signature or click on my banner
PCM Repairs $75 + Shipping
Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know why I asked when I saw it. Anyways, I asked a trust worthy friend about doing this and he said he had a great experience working with your company, so I'm in! PM so we can get this under way. Turds been sitting for a week.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

I don't know about diablo software...but with HPTuners, you read the entire program out of the car, make whatever changes you want to, and then only flash the calibration section, not the operating system itself...the hand held stuff always flashes the entire computer, which is much riskier.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer is simple. Don't flash your computer with *anything* unless your battery is 100% charged.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_bishop
the answer is simple. Don't flash your computer with *anything* unless your battery is 100% charged.
exactly!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The_Bishop
The answer is simple. Don't flash your computer with *anything* unless your battery is 100% charged.
Even that doesn't have a 100% track record for me on older stuff where you had to flash the entire computer...or some newer stuff before they were able to flash just the calibration...do anything you can to use software that doesn't have to flash the whole thing when you're tuning...because when you're tuning for really...you will flash many many times...plus it's a 21 second flash time (on a 99+ LS1) compared to a few minutes...and it's even faster on some newer stuff.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

During the writing process, there was an error:
1.) Then it asked to recover, then it had an error in the process.
2.) Wouldn't recognize the vin.
3.) Wouldn't recognize my ignition being on.

The battery was dead after that. I also recall seeing code 402 or something to that note.

Whats to blame?
The handheld
A voltage spike
Writing the flash did not cause the battery to go dead. It sounds like the batt was low prior to the write, the PCM shut down mid-write and now it's brain dead.