PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e VSS vs RPM Shift question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60e VSS vs RPM Shift question?

Hey guys, I'm new to tuning electronically controlled transmissions for I have been running a Th400 mvb for two years now. Well I bought another car to DD and I am playing around with the tune a bit using my normal EFI Live. Car is a 02 A4 SS.

The car is upshifting just fine with the new set perimeters however i do not understand the correlation between VSS and RPM shift points. I was looking at a stock tune and I think the 1-2 is set at 6000 rpm but 60 mph. How does this work?

I will be changing shift points pretty regular until I find the optimum range so when I start to make the larger jumps how will I correlate the two to make it shift properly.

edit: I guess I'm kind of looking for a rule of thumb if one exist. EX. xx mph equals xx rpm or reverse to make the car shift.

Thanks in advance!
Andy

Last edited by Carter01; 04-07-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

For WOT the mph value must be met first, then the PCM looks at the rpm. I wouldn't raise the shift points with a stock cam and valve train, but if you choose to do so you should be able to just raise the rpm value. Adding an aftermarket TC changes everything where you have to drop the mph really low to force the PCM to shift based on rpm only.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
For WOT the mph value must be met first, then the PCM looks at the rpm. I wouldn't raise the shift points with a stock cam and valve train, but if you choose to do so you should be able to just raise the rpm value. Adding an aftermarket TC changes everything where you have to drop the mph really low to force the PCM to shift based on rpm only.
Thanks man, makes sense now.

Quick Reply: 4l60e VSS vs RPM Shift question?