Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frost tune review

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frost tune review

Well, just got my 1999 z28 ecu back from Frost. Car has BBK longtubes, ory, SLP lid, Magnaflow catback, and egr/a.i.r delete. When I first did headers and exhaust, the car sounded great but lacked bottom-end power. I sent ecu in based on all of the great reviews posted on here for Frost. After getting it back I've noticed increased bottom end torque, smoother power band, and no ses light! Turn around time was awesome. Sent it in 04/01, and got it back 04/07 in the a.m. Overall very pleased and highly recommend Frost.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gre975
Well, just got my 1999 z28 ecu back from Frost. Car has BBK longtubes, ory, SLP lid, Magnaflow catback, and egr/a.i.r delete. When I first did headers and exhaust, the car sounded great but lacked bottom-end power. I sent ecu in based on all of the great reviews posted on here for Frost. After getting it back I've noticed increased bottom end torque, smoother power band, and no ses light! Turn around time was awesome. Sent it in 04/01, and got it back 04/07 in the a.m. Overall very pleased and highly recommend Frost.
I'm looking for more details. Is your car auto or manual? Did he change the shift points? Does it shift harder?

Fuel economy any different? You said you picked up more bottom end power, does the bottom end feel stronger than before the headers? How much did the tune cost? Are there any bad side effects you've noticed?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Bottom end after headers but before tune felt like it wasn't as strong or smooth. After the time, which cost $166 with shipping, was much improved and well surpassed what it felt like before headers. My fuel economy suffered after installing headers but has been restored since being tuned. I've not noticed anything unusual so far. Shifts feel firmer as mine is an auto.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the Frost Tune!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
I'm looking for more details. Is your car auto or manual? Did he change the shift points? Does it shift harder?

Fuel economy any different? You said you picked up more bottom end power, does the bottom end feel stronger than before the headers? How much did the tune cost? Are there any bad side effects you've noticed?
Frost rocks, after he did my mail order tune my A4 would chirp second gear so yeah he does tweak the shift settings
Old 04-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Teching In

You dont have to email him do you? Im just curious on this cause everyone always talks about Emailing him and such. Cant you just send it to him with the address provided on his website??
Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my frost tune. My shifts took a while to get used to. I don't race but I love how my car feels totally different. I will be a returning customer.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 14k
I love my frost tune. My shifts took a while to get used to. I don't race but I love how my car feels totally different. I will be a returning customer.
Can you explain how much it changed your shifts, and in what way? did it raise your shift points? Make the shifts harder? What exactly did it do?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure he changed shift points. Can't say where cause I never floor it. Shift firmness was raised.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Teching In

UPDATE! After driving my car for about 2days, I noticed the ses light came back on. Went to Autozone and they said it was for egr and air systems. Emailed Frost, who said his software was having some issues and to send it back as it must have missed these codes. Pulled out ecm per his instructions and mailed it back, which cost me an additional $19 from UPS. I sent it out on the 04/11. Got an email from Frost on the 19th, which was dated the 16th stating that I was trying to pull a fast one on him by sending him a second ecm with stock calibrations! Wow. Sent him an email back telling him this was not the case. Not sure what to think of all this at this point. I am a very honest person and would never think to do something like this.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not that I want to get into this too much, but a tuner can compare the 2 files and tell right away if anything is diff, as well as compare the operating system and serial number of both computers.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Ok, just got off the phone with Frost. Super nice guy, who told me hes not sure what happened, but he had a stock ecm for a 2000 z28 instead of a 1999 tuned. He was just as confused as I was and took my word I wasn't trying to pull a fast one. He said he would send it back out to me as he did a full flash and double checked it too. Hopefully all goes well.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not to thread jack but didnt want to make another but a cpl questions. for a mail order tune obviously you have to pay for it first (i wanna goin to use paypal) but how does he know YOU paid for it when you send in you spec sheet and ecu ? do you write down a order # or somethin? also has anyone ran their car before the tune and then after? just to see the gain in 1/4 times.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
not to thread jack but didnt want to make another but a cpl questions. for a mail order tune obviously you have to pay for it first (i wanna goin to use paypal) but how does he know YOU paid for it when you send in you spec sheet and ecu ? do you write down a order # or somethin? also has anyone ran their car before the tune and then after? just to see the gain in 1/4 times.
This is a good question, I wondered this myself. I have pratically the same mods as the O.P. So im very interested in this thread.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 AM
Teching In

Yes there is an order # as well as the form you fill out and send in after using paypal. The form has a spot with all of your contact info. As far as the before and after 1/4 times, I haven't gotten there yet but am wondering the same myself. Frost told me his tunes have just as much of an effect on performance as do bolting on headers, maybe a little more.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gre975
Yes there is an order # as well as the form you fill out and send in after using paypal. The form has a spot with all of your contact info. As far as the before and after 1/4 times, I haven't gotten there yet but am wondering the same myself. Frost told me his tunes have just as much of an effect on performance as do bolting on headers, maybe a little more.
cool, thx alot man. just gives me more incentive to send it quicker. but we just got snow in the middle of april !
Old 04-24-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

How much is a Frost tune & how easy is it to r&r the ecu?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
How much is a Frost tune & how easy is it to r&r the ecu?

here is the link 150$ and a page of instructions.

http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/products_m03.htm

I plan on having mine done. i only have air box lid & k&n filter, hi flow muffler.

i`m looking for better shift points. I dont drive this to save gas.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Frost rocks, after he did my mail order tune my A4 would chirp second gear so yeah he does tweak the shift settings
hmm, its comments like these that make me think my car has been tuned or slightly modded, as my car chirps second all the time as well. Even when i had wide and heavy C5 Z06 knockoffs

>.< damn it i wish i could find the P.O!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Can you explain how much it changed your shifts, and in what way? did it raise your shift points? Make the shifts harder? What exactly did it do?
A proper tune does a number of things. For a mail order tuner he does an excellent job without the need to be inside the car. Good price too. However, he can only do so much, a dynotune is the best for the money.

Shift points are changed, shift pressure are much firmer, proper timing, code deletes, more fuel in the top end, speedo calibration ect

Quick Reply: frost tune review