Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tachometer inop & can not retrieve DTC's

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer inop & can not retrieve DTC's

Please help! I recently pulled my 2001 Camaro SS out of storage and immediately had problems (it would not start). The bulk of my problems turned out to be a bad ground. I pulled the entire engine harness out and inspected it just to be sure that nothing else was wrong. Now that it's all back together and starts I noticed the tach does not work. I have done a lot of searching on here and have pretty much figured out the tach problem is likely the Cam Position Sensor (yes I verified that it is connected) so while I wait for a new one to come in the mail (USPS snail mail to APO) I would like to get some thoughts from anyone who wants to help. Just this morning the SES light came on but unfortunately I am unable to read the DTC's! For some reason my HPT program won't read them but I don't think it's the program. I am going to get a code reader from a local mechanic tomorrow to see what happens there. Below is a list of what's going on and what I've done so far:

Problems:
1. Stock tach does not work at all but HPT will show RPM's (likely CMP)
2. Can not read DTC's with HPT but all other parameters are readable
3. Hard starting but will eventually start and idle (again likely CMP)

Troubleshooting:
1. Removed, inspected and reinstalled the engine harness
2. Checked all connectors and grounds multiple times, cleaned all grounds, everything is good
3. Replaced Crank Position Sensor last summer just a few months before it went into storage
4. Installed a known good PCM that I just received from Frost as a spare and I am still having the same problems, no change/difference.
5. Researched and read multiple posts as well as Chilton's, owners manual, google, etc...

The mods that are currently done to the car:
1. TEA stage 3 5.3L Heads
2. Futral F12-114 Cam - 230/230, .595/.595, 114LSA
3. FAST 92/92 port matched to heads
4. Headers & full catted exhaust
5. SLP MAF with 5 pin wire adapter
6. FTP lid
7. LS6 valley cover/PCV
8. A/C, EGR/AIR, & Cruise Control DELETED

All mods were done more than a year ago and the car was running perfectly fine before I put it in storage back in October. By the way, I am stationed in Germany so Autozone and all those other great places are not at my disposal.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated as I have been working on this for 2 days now with no luck!

****UPDATE****

Was able to read DTC's and voila "P0343 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit High Input". Also, it turns out that my old laptop has an older version of HPT on it and was not able to read the codes. So I hooked up my newer laptop with the most recent HPT on it and it worked like a charm! Now I just need to find some time to replace the CMP...

Last edited by priest01ss; 04-30-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Update