Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad miss/stumble

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default bad miss/stumble

If anyone can help me out that would be great. I was driving on the highway and hit a medium sized bump nothing ultra crazy and the engine stumbled pretty bad for a second. Then after that every small bump made the car stumble. smooth roads no problem car has full power and is perfect. bumpy roads no good at all. engine light is on and showing 3 codes:

P1635
P0530
P0107

thanks for any help.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

nobody ever had this happen to them before?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

in another thread someone showed me a diagram of the 5 volt reference which is tied into all three codes I am getting. the codes are for 5V ref circuit (P1635), ac sensor out of range (P0530), and map sensor out of range (P0107). so if all three of these things are happening does it mean I have a fried pcm or can one bad sensor cause the entire circuit to go out of range? I know how to change sensors but I dont want to start replacing things for no reason either it gets expensive.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Sounds like a wire may have come loose.Check to see if any of the grounds lost contact.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Check if your battery is fastened down properly.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joecar
it isnt. it hasnt been since i bought the car 4 years ago. the connections are secure but it just kinda sits in that little battery tray. the bolt that is suppose to hold it down doesnt screw in so it may wobble around a bit. it is a fairly new battery though its a year old.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

When you hit the bump, the battery jumps backward, its positive terminal shorts out on the AC accumulator.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

ok so i couldnt find any loose connections. took it to the nearest gm dealer and they had it for a week and couldnt find any loose wires either. they did say it could be the map sensor or some other wires back behind the manifold but i told them not to start taking things apart because i didnt want to pay all that labor. so any ideas? u guys think i should just buy a new map sensor and see if that works? dealer said it could be the missing EGR or missing AC stuff since its all on the same circuit. my take on it though is that the EGR and AC stuff have been missing or disconnected for at least 3 years now and i have the egr codes deleted through hptuners so how could it be those things?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Siciliano15
If anyone can help me out that would be great. I was driving on the highway and hit a medium sized bump nothing ultra crazy and the engine stumbled pretty bad for a second. Then after that every small bump made the car stumble. smooth roads no problem car has full power and is perfect. bumpy roads no good at all. engine light is on and showing 3 codes:

P1635
P0530
P0107

thanks for any help.
Originally Posted by Siciliano15
it isnt. it hasnt been since i bought the car 4 years ago. the connections are secure but it just kinda sits in that little battery tray. the bolt that is suppose to hold it down doesnt screw in so it may wobble around a bit. it is a fairly new battery though its a year old.
When you hit the bump, the battery jumps backward, its positive terminal shorts out on the AC accumulator.
If your battery moves then it will short on the AC accumulator, regardless of being a new battery.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

If your battery moves then it will short on the AC accumulator, regardless of being a new battery.
ac accumulator is removed from the car. terminals on the battery are covered so they dont contact any metal surfaces
Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same issue on a friends car, Spend hours trying to figure it out.

Ended up being a 5-volt reference circuit wire shorted to ground. The wire is in the ECM harness right under the ECM. Pull the ECM and there's a trim screw that holds the fender liner in that should have a rubber cover on it which usually falls off. It may have grounded on that screw.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If u have the skills or know someone who does, u can graph/record the values of all 3 sensors and when the car acts up you will be able to possibly see if ur having a voltage spike or signal dropout. Which could narrow down which circuit is the problem. Also u can clear the codes and check to see which code pops up first and or if they all happen at the same time. I would have to guess " having not looked at the wiringdiagrams" if all 3 of theses codes have set the light as a group and share a common ground that would be a good place to start. Also dont rule out an improperly secures battery... when the battery bounces around all the time it can only handle so much now it would have an loose plate or terminal damage internally causing momentarily shorts. So it u have an extra battery around a quick swap will rule it out and is worth the try. Just some tips for you also a diagnostic flow chart would be a good way to go starting with the first code start to finish and so on.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by luigiandme

Ended up being a 5-volt reference circuit wire shorted to ground. The wire is in the ECM harness right under the ECM. Pull the ECM and there's a trim screw that holds the fender liner in that should have a rubber cover on it which usually falls off. It may have grounded on that screw.
oh ok ill check that. i did replace the passenger fender on the car because the original one go damaged so i had to remove the fender liner at that time and then re-install it so maybe that rubber thing u are talking about fell off. thanks ill check that out.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by skidooingit
If u have the skills or know someone who does, u can graph/record the values of all 3 sensors and when the car acts up you will be able to possibly see if ur having a voltage spike or signal dropout. Which could narrow down which circuit is the problem. Also u can clear the codes and check to see which code pops up first and or if they all happen at the same time. I would have to guess " having not looked at the wiringdiagrams" if all 3 of theses codes have set the light as a group and share a common ground that would be a good place to start. Also dont rule out an improperly secures battery... when the battery bounces around all the time it can only handle so much now it would have an loose plate or terminal damage internally causing momentarily shorts. So it u have an extra battery around a quick swap will rule it out and is worth the try. Just some tips for you also a diagnostic flow chart would be a good way to go starting with the first code start to finish and so on.
thanks ill check those values also. i want to make sure first that its not that fender screw but if not ill try to scan the car and see wat happens when it misses.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by luigiandme

well i removed the ecm and found that screw you were talking about. there were no wires or harnesses anywhere near the screw though. anyways i cut the screw so it was only protruding ¼ inch and put some rubber electrical tape on it. i dont know if that did anything or not. i also replaced the ac pressure sensor which was easy to access and is one of the codes i was getting. i started it up drove around hit some bumps and couldnt get the problem to happen again. i guess ill keep driving it around for the next few days to see if it comes back.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

thanks for all of your help guys. Ive been driving the car every day since my last post. even took it into manhattan over the weekend and considering the roads there arent great, i guess its safe to say the problem is fixed because there were plenty of rough roads and the car drove perfect. thanks again.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear you got your ride fixed.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by skidooingit
Good to hear you got your ride fixed.
thanks

Quick Reply: bad miss/stumble