PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gauges down after tune

Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauges down after tune

I had my car tuned at 21st Century recently and now am having a problem with my gauges. They installed slp headers, high flow y-pipe and cats and a corsa cat back. Those are the only mods on the car other than a lid. The car is an 02 SS with less than 2,000 miles on it and they are the only ones that have ever touched the car. My fuel, temp and tach gauges are not working and a few lights are on. From what I understand these are all controlled thru the pcm. I've read a lot of "could be" causes of faulty gauges but this car is practically brand new. Any ideas??? Could the tune have this affect on the gauges?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

disconnect the battery and reconnect and see if that helps , i dont think it will but its worth a try.Also have you contacted 21st century ? Lets see some pics of the car . and why are you modding such a low mileage car ?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Teching In

I disconnected the battery and the gauges did work for about 15 mins then just dropped again. I haven't contacted 21st in regards to this issue although I have about a few other issues that followed their services. They are a bunch of incompetent a-holes there. Knowing what your doing and caring about what you do are two different things. I feel they know what they're doing but don't care. That is a whole other story. I don't plan to mod the car to the extent of tearing it up but we all know the stock exhaust and lid just don't cut it. I bought the highest quality exhaust for the car that I knew of and thought I was taking it to the right shop. You can see pics of the car in my garage. I bought it from the second owner last October with 562 miles on it.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Default requested photos

Here a few photos that I have on my work computer.
Attached Thumbnails gauges down after tune-img_4132.jpg   gauges down after tune-fb-cover.jpg   gauges down after tune-img_4190.jpg   gauges down after tune-photo-2-.jpg   gauges down after tune-93324_interior_web1.jpg  

Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your temp gauge is not run by the PCM, no "tuning" is going to effect that one. Only thing in the tuning that would effect the tach would be changing the number of pulses per rev. That would effect the calibration of it, making it read high or low all the time. Not only work intermittently. Either way, you should first contact the shop that worked on it, not get on a message board and make it sound like they did something wrong.

Just yesterday I flashed a truck's PCM, then it would not start. Of course, it was my fault. Turned out his new Autozone fuel pump relay died.

You have something else wrong with your car. Brand new cars have things go wrong. Does not matter who just worked on it.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the info Ed. I am not blaming 21st directly for this particular issue at this point, hints the end of my original post, "Could the tune have this affect on the gauges?". There are other reasons why I spoke of them as I did but did not go into detail because I did not want to mis-direct this thread. I have already spoke to John Page numerous times in regards to other issues and we are no longer on speaking terms. I have cut my losses with that shop and am trying to move forward. I explained the other details such as, the car has been tuned, the car is near new/mileage, specific mods that have been done and that haven't been done, who has worked on the car and who hasn't etc. etc., to try and minimize the possibilities of suggestions/ideas provided by other members.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

You could try a frost mail order tune
Old 06-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks ramairetransam. I may end up doing that.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When the operating system is changed with a different one, the cluster sometimes doesn't work but only a few gauges are affected, most likely the fuel gauge.
If the tune was to blame they would never work, intermitent functionality is not caused by tuning.

If all of them are dead you have a different problem, electrical for sure.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Thanks MontecarloDrag. It's the fuel gauge, tach & temp that aren't working along with a few of the lights being on. I'll put a pic up so you guys can see the gauges.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Default Pic of Faulty Gauges

These are the gauges at idle.
Attached Thumbnails gauges down after tune-image.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe if some one found a wiring diagram. We could pinpoint the ground for the cluster.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen this happen after a doing a flash and not turning the ignition off immediately afterwords. May need to take it back to them and have them reflash the car.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

A car wiht that low of mileage see if mice did some damage to the wiring. Sound like it is a loose wire or short somewhere.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Just noticed there were a few more post on here after I posted the pic. Thanks for the info guys. Update: after tracking a few wiring diagrams and a little bit of other research I was ready to dig in. My first try was going to be following this thread - https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...t-working.html - and would go from there. So I get to the wires shown in the thread and start the car before actually touching any wires and the gauges "worked". I thought, odd but I bet they will drop after wiggling some wires or something.... After "lightly" wiggling every wire I could find in the vicinity of the cluster they still worked. Hmmm I drove it around a while over the weekend and still good.... Have no clue.... Thanks again for all the info above. If the gauges drop again and I come up with a solid solution I will post it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gauges down after tune