Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 102/102 tuning issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST 102/102 tuning issues

Hey guys, i have a LS1 with a Tony Mamo ported FAST 102 and Nick Williams 102 throttle body, were are having troubles tuning the idle at around 825 rpm as it seems to be constantly hunting, if anyone has a base map that they could perhaps lend as a start would be greatly appreciated or maybe some pro tuning tips, im more than happy to reimburse you for your knowledge/help getting it sorted, unfortunately there is not really anybody around with any experience in this sort of stuff my neck of the woods and we are supposed to be hitting the strip next week, cheers,
Matt
Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PM sent.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

legend, cheers dude
Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey Matt, Ron here. I'm one of CTD's hack students.....he will get the joke.

Tell us about your car? Cam? Stick auto? And all that good stuff.
I'm also a drag racer, both old school (498" 69 Nova) and new school (2000 LS1 C5 Vette)
Kinda got spoiled with the LS and the injection and all that.........

One thing I found on my FAST 102 was that once apart, the gasket between the halves doesn't like to seal real well. I ported my own. Also noted that the design relys on the manifold to head bolts to seal the halves. So kind of a double whammy there. So at the least, check those bolts. Don't be afraid to snug them up pretty good. I was having idle issues, well, let's just say it changed, and I found that the bolts had loosened. Once tightened, I had to go through the base running airflow process....again. It had changed a lot.

Ron
Old 10-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Hey Matt, Ron here. I'm one of CTD's hack students.....he will get the joke.

Tell us about your car? Cam? Stick auto? And all that good stuff.
I'm also a drag racer, both old school (498" 69 Nova) and new school (2000 LS1 C5 Vette)
Kinda got spoiled with the LS and the injection and all that.........

One thing I found on my FAST 102 was that once apart, the gasket between the halves doesn't like to seal real well. I ported my own. Also noted that the design relys on the manifold to head bolts to seal the halves. So kind of a double whammy there. So at the least, check those bolts. Don't be afraid to snug them up pretty good. I was having idle issues, well, let's just say it changed, and I found that the bolts had loosened. Once tightened, I had to go through the base running airflow process....again. It had changed a lot.

Ron
Hey Ron, apologies for the VERY delayed response, i just re visited this now, after more time spent i had found the intake bolts had loosened and went through and tightened them all which has helped a little, im now having issues with it returning to idle when pulling up to lights it just dies, the joys of tuning 102/102 combo on a 346 lol, good news is im ***** deep in a Tony Mamo 402 LS build at the moment which is gonna be super staunch with no expense spared so havent had too much time to play around with the 346 as of late, anyways thanks heaps for the input Ron much appreciated
Matt
Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Mine goes into cruise control mode around 1500 when pulling to a stop.

I've played with the Cracker and Follower tables. I'm thinking of just zeroing those out at low speed.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion

I've played with the Cracker and Follower tables. I'm thinking of just zeroing those out at low speed.
set your cracker enable speed to 43mph and 42mph from top to bottom.

Should fix your problem.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

no problem
Old 10-09-2014, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

mine is doing exactly the same also Jake, its hunting when stopped at lights, its ******* annoying, sick of looking like a goober sitting at the lights with the car revving to 1500 rpm lol, we have been playing with the throttle cracker tables too, let me know how you get on
Old 10-09-2014, 01:17 AM
Super Hulk Smash

I have mine so it doesn't hunt for idle anymore. It just hangs after free revving in park. It's not too bad when driving. I think the converter hides a lot of crap when driving.

Post your tune. You have to have the VE dialed in, MAF dialed in, and then you can adjust the spark, adaptive spark, adaptive air, and RAC. If the fueling is off, nothing will fix it. But if fueling is close, then the spark and RAC need to be right. I'd run the Russ k idle config file and get the right values in there and then turn off adaptive spark through the scanner and manually set your advance. Once the car stops shaking and idles smoothly, back off 2-4 degrees and set that as your idle spark. Then adjust your timing tables to have the same values in the 400-1200 cells.

Also, you may need to make some adjustments on your IAC steps with the larger 102.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

I have mine so it doesn't hunt for idle anymore. It just hangs after free revving in park. It's not too bad when driving. I think the converter hides a lot of crap when driving.

Post your tune. You have to have the VE dialed in, MAF dialed in, and then you can adjust the spark, adaptive spark, adaptive air, and RAC. If the fueling is off, nothing will fix it. But if fueling is close, then the spark and RAC need to be right. I'd run the Russ k idle config file and get the right values in there and then turn off adaptive spark through the scanner and manually set your advance. Once the car stops shaking and idles smoothly, back off 2-4 degrees and set that as your idle spark. Then adjust your timing tables to have the same values in the 400-1200 cells.

Also, you may need to make some adjustments on your IAC steps with the larger 102.
you using HP Tuners? awesome ill take note, cheers man, will post tune file soon, i've had mine done multiple times by a shop and its still not right so thinking of buying the software and learning myself.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

heres my tune its about as perfect as i can get for my car fast 102/102 nw tb... no hunting or idle drops when cruising. i highly suggest you run the russ k idle config. with mine i ended up cutting the adaptive idle times in half as well as making the min ltit -.5 from -3. these helped get idle control a little better when coming to a stop. it may or may not help you though as i firmly believe mine would have been a lot easier with a normal clutch

my follower and cracekr values will be off though because my lightweight clutch requires some tweaked values. still cant get it perfect because of that thing lol depending on what cam you may benefit from upping the idle speed...I tried so hard to keep an 825-850 idle but in the end the car was much more happy with 900. my clutch has caused a lot of issues with tuning the larger tb but overall its pretty well dialed in now theres just a couple small things i'll have to live with.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
tune final.hpt (453.2 KB, 238 views)
Old 02-22-2019, 02:24 AM
Teching In

This sounds like typical behavior for tuning the FAST 102. Can anybody confirm that this is to be expected when choosing the 102/102 FAST combo ? I just purchased Tony Mamo AFR 220cc heads with the works. The tuner here in NJ is the LS1 preferred but I’d like to know what to expect.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Palumbi
This sounds like typical behavior for tuning the FAST 102. Can anybody confirm that this is to be expected when choosing the 102/102 FAST combo ? I just purchased Tony Mamo AFR 220cc heads with the works. The tuner here in NJ is the LS1 preferred but I’d like to know what to expect.
Mark,

Do you realize you dredged up a 6 year old thread.....LOL

ALOT has progressed in 6 years including the shape of the 102 TB's making them alot easier to tune. Not to mention the tuning software and the talent of some folks out there as well by continually trying things that ultimately yields progress. The 102 deal is not the nightmare it was close to a decade ago when they first started becoming more popular and were more challenging at the time to tune.

Plus most of the tuning issues were more large cam related than manifold related anyway but you should have no problem finding a competent tuner to get your package to run right.....your cam is on the mild side.....its an easy car to tune

Hope this helps

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 02-23-2019, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Mark,

Do you realize you dredged up a 6 year old thread.....LOL

ALOT has progressed in 6 years including the shape of the 102 TB's making them alot easier to tune. Not to mention the tuning software and the talent of some folks out there as well by continually trying things that ultimately yields progress. The 102 deal is not the nightmare it was close to a decade ago when they first started becoming more popular and were more challenging at the time to tune.

Plus most of the tuning issues were more large cam related than manifold related anyway but you should have no problem finding a competent tuner to get your package to run right.....your cam is on the mild side.....its an easy car to tune

Hope this helps

-Tony
🤦 Thanks Tony

Quick Reply: FAST 102/102 tuning issues