PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Shop That Won't Allow You to Watch Tuning?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Dyno Shop That Won't Allow You to Watch Tuning?

Anyone ever hear of a dyno shop that doesn't allow you to watch them work on your tune? The guy wants me to drop my car off, leave, and come back when they're finished. He said "spectators" cause too many distractions for the tuner. I'm a little nervous to say the least. I envisioned I'd be there when they start railing on my car. What are your experiences? TIA.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems kinda fishy. Not saying you should be leaning over their shoulder but if they are good at what they do you being there shouldn't be an issue
Old 04-09-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The guy wants me to drop my car off, leave, and come back when they're finished.
Leave and go where? Bring another person to drive you there and then drive back home then drive there again and once more back home? For a simple friggin' tune?

I understand shops that don't want you to be in the actual room to distract the tuner or be a liability in case something happened to you a non-employee...but to tell you to leave the premises is quite silly. At least they should let you wait in the waiting room or lobby of the place.

Seems fishy, I'd go somewhere else if they're that adamant about you leaving...who knows what they're going to do to your car. Heck, they could easily not do **** to the car, give you a printout of some other dyno run and take your money.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redtan
Leave and go where? Bring another person to drive you there and then drive back home then drive there again and once more back home? For a simple friggin' tune?....
LOL. Call a cab maybe? Worse yet, I'm 90 miles from the shop.

Originally Posted by redtan
....I understand shops that don't want you to be in the actual room to distract the tuner or be a liability in case something happened to you a non-employee...but to tell you to leave the premises is quite silly. At least they should let you wait in the waiting room or lobby of the place.....
This I understand. I'd be happy to wait elsewhere on the premises.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can see where they are coming from. I usually request the car stays for a day or 2 to tune in cold starts.

There has been a few times I've told customers to get away from me while tuning because of the distraction. Most customers are fine.

On the other hand, they could simply be lost on tuning and don't want you to see them making phone calls ect trying to figure it out. LOL
Old 04-09-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I can see where they are coming from. I usually request the car stays for a day or 2 to tune in cold starts.....
If the guy had said this I would have bought into it completely.

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
....On the other hand, they could simply be lost on tuning and don't want you to see them making phone calls ect trying to figure it out. LOL
I'm afraid this will be the case.

I have EFILive on my laptop & they'll be using HPTuners. What I plan on doing after they're done is upload their tune and compare it with the existing one. I guess the only thing that will accomplish is to see how bad I've been taken LOL. That will work, right? I mean upload the HPTuner's tune with EFILive? As long as they don't use a COS.....
Old 04-09-2013, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree its nice to have them a day or 2 for cold starts, but a lot of times that isn't possible. You can hang out with me and I'll answer every single question and explain everything - then your bill will have a charge for the tune and a charge for the tuning class just kiddin, I gladly spend the time to explain and answer questions...
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
I have EFILive on my laptop & they'll be using HPTuners. What I plan on doing after they're done is upload their tune and compare it with the existing one. I guess the only thing that will accomplish is to see how bad I've been taken LOL. That will work, right? I mean upload the HPTuner's tune with EFILive? As long as they don't use a COS.....
Yes, you can read it out and compare as long as they don't lock it or use a COS... post it up here for us to look at it
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would gladly pay for a tuning class! Ha!

No I would not make the 90 mile journey & leave while the do what ever it is they do. A good shop that deals with out of area customers would have a nice way of dealing with situation. Might even be a glass window you are observing thru!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Yes, you can read it out and compare as long as they don't lock it or use a COS... post it up here for us to look at it
Ok thanks. I'll post the tune when it's done.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ctd
.....No I would not make the 90 mile journey & leave while the do what ever it is they do. A good shop that deals with out of area customers would have a nice way of dealing with situation. Might even be a glass window you are observing thru!
Ya, I'd really like to hang around and watch them at work. How about a hidden webcam?!!! Sweet.

It just sucks we don't have any other tuners in the area. I heard the guys in Watertown SD are good but that's twice as far as Omaha.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
I would agree its nice to have them a day or 2 for cold starts, but a lot of times that isn't possible. You can hang out with me and I'll answer every single question and explain everything - then your bill will have a charge for the tune and a charge for the tuning class just kiddin, I gladly spend the time to explain and answer questions...
This^^^

I usually leave my car at Vengeance for like a week or so to let them do whatever they need to do. Every time I have been there and they were still doing pulls on my car or brother's car Ron has always invited us in to bullshit or tour us around the shop to see what they have going on. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a shop that told me I HAD to leave and come back when they are done. Sometimes it nice to hear your car from the outside.

Since I have worked in a couple of dealerships I can see how it would **** someone off if you were looking over their shoulder and wanting to stand right next to the tech ( I ******* hated that), underneath your car when you aren't covered by their insurance but just chilling and observering from a distance should be fine.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would be fine leaving my car with a shop that has a good rep like Vengeance. Hell, keep it for a week if that's what they need. But these guys, I just don't know them.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
I would be fine leaving my car with a shop that has a good rep like Vengeance. Hell, keep it for a week if that's what they need. But these guys, I just don't know them.
If you don't feel comfortable, more than likely you never will. I would be sweating bullets the whole time if I didn't trust them. You might want to start looking into a new tuner.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't leave my car anywhere unless it is someone i trust and have worked with before.

The guy I have used never has a problem with people there as long as they aren't trying to tell him how to do his job when they clearly have no clue what they are talking about.

I have tuned 6 or 7 cars with him and wouldn't hesitate to leave it with him overnight, but I do like the discount I get when I am there helping work on the car instead of standing there looking at him work.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tsmiley98
I wouldn't leave my car anywhere unless it is someone i trust and have worked with before.

The guy I have used never has a problem with people there as long as they aren't trying to tell him how to do his job when they clearly have no clue what they are talking about.

I have tuned 6 or 7 cars with him and wouldn't hesitate to leave it with him overnight, but I do like the discount I get when I am there helping work on the car instead of standing there looking at him work.
Who's shop is it, you can pm me if you feel you don't want to post up the name, and I can recommend a couple of shops, you won't have to go all the way to SD for a tune.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Atomic - I was hoping someone from Omaha would chime in. PM sent. I don't want to post the shop, they haven't done anything wrong. They could be the best tune shop ever!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Leave and come back?!

Hell, I've gone to Geoff@EPS on a few occasions and sat there cracking off-colored jokes and clowning around. I walk all thru the shop while my car is there or any of my friends cars. I even took a crap in the bathroom there, I don't think Geoff liked that one! LOL!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't feel comfortable, trust your instincts. Bottom line.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they don't want you watching, that sounds kinda weird. On the other hand some cars need more than an in and out in one day tune. I would rather inconvenience someone than give them a tune I 'HOPE' will start and run good cold the next day after they get home.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyno Shop That Won't Allow You to Watch Tuning?