PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importance of EFI live RAFIG (hopefully my last idle thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Importance of EFI live RAFIG (hopefully my last idle thread!)

old thread here (getting cluttered): https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...s-welcome.html

Long story short, I'm going to bite the bullet and admit my novice mistake first. While trying to sort my idle issues I've often seen reference to a RAFIG setup for idle, but there was never a clear tutorial or set up guide (unless I just missed it). I assumed it was a reference to the "Idle tips and tricks thread" which I had printed and tried to use all along to correct idle.

Long story short I pieced together enough information from threads found in google to go into my PIDs to find the RAFIG pid as well as the short and long term correction PIDs as well as the prebuilt tables for them in the map section. Ran that on a cold start in P/N and a partial cold start In Gear. The car has the best idle since I did the swap! No cruise control and no dying at stops. Car thumps around like a carbed car and sounds nice and nasty.

Is there a detailed tutorial somewhere on setting up and running the RAFIG calibration? If so it does not seem to be very prominent or easily turn up in a google search. If there is not such a thing, perhaps there should be for beginners to find easily as it will cure a large portion of the "new tuner headaches".

Only issues which remain with mine after performing this simple procedure are:

1) at very low throttle when letting off it will get a 100-200 rpm surge, thinking this can be corrected either my adding a small percent to the base table or the cracker table

2) on warm start up it still sometimes likes to idle at 1000rpm for a few seconds then shoot up to 1400ish, then fall to commanded idle smoothly

3) on highway speed decel in OD or D it can't decide if it wants to drop RPM to the low 1000s or rev match with the MPH so it alternates every 10 seconds or so (DFCO?) Looking at the scanner I think it is pulling timing when doing this.

Any further advice is much appreciated, glad to finally be making serious leaps in progress even if it did mean admitting how much of a newb I am (and I'll really feel dumb if that tutorial exists somewhere I should have found it easily)
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I treid RAFIG but it was giving me values higher than they should be. So instead I just logged SAE.MAF vs. ECT and pasted the data into my tune. What is your thought on this process? I was following this thread:

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....ips-amp-Tricks
Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Idle Tuning - Helpful Info Inside

Idle Tuning - Helpful Info Inside
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes that's the thread I eventually found...but I printed it to put in my tuning books and didn't realize the RAFIG work was a link. And even once you follow that link it's a few posts down before the process is explained.

I would think something as important would be a little more prominent.

Either way, the car is running way better than before other than the issues posted above. Been sick so I haven't had a chance to tweak anything yet.

Quick Reply: Importance of EFI live RAFIG (hopefully my last idle thread!)