PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pinging? under heavy load- tune related? help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pinging? under heavy load- tune related? help!

Where to start... I have an 01 z06. Its auto swapped, and I had heads, cam, fast 90 and ls7 manifolds. I had to have my transmission looked at so I did s few things while it was down. I replaced the big ported 243 heads with some stock 243's and put headers on and went to a Vic Jr/elbow. My o2's weren't reading last time I tried to have it tuned so I got new ones when I did all this stuff. Now I have a what I would call pinging under a heavy load. 75% throttle or higher. The higher the louder the noise. The coolant temp goes up just a little bit when It makes the noise and I stay in it. The noise sounds like a tinny noise from the header. Sounds like gravel in my fender well kind of. Has to be over 3000rpm. It's done it ever since I got the car running except for one night it didn't do it at all and it ran smoother through the rpm's. I just put in some 110/91 mix fuel and filled it up but haven't got it to mix in and drive it much. Started raining.

Basically what I'm doing is trying to get the noise to go away again by something I can change to get a direction where to go with it. I want to get the car retuned but I don't want to go get it tuned just to find out I have a bad head/gasket problem. If I know it's tune related I'll gladly go get it tuned and be done worrying. Any advice would be awesome!! I have a snap on solus scanner and s couple buddies with hand held stuff that we can read data if I know what to look for. Please help! Thanks in advance!