Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just went TH400, now wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default just went TH400, now wont idle

after i just spent many hours on EDIT to get my car to idle fine with the M6 and new cam, i ended up putting in a TH400 and it all went to crap. the problem is that now the motor has to spin a converter in gear instead of a clutch in neutral at stops. the only way i can get it to idle at stops is if i but it in neutral every time i come to a stop. this is getting old quick. what are you guys doing? seems like i can raise the idle up to 1000 or 1100 might work but is there anything else. the TB is already at .25". has anyone gone bigger with success?
Old 05-09-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its always harder to get an Auto to idle but you should have an easier time with an m6 base program. how big of a cam do u have? probably need to have it idle around 950 min, doesnt have to be outragously high... open up the tb with the set screw... before going bigger tb hole... and try adj the iac values in the pcm... gonna need time for idle relearn and remember the pcm thinks it is nuetral as far as the trans is concerned because there is no way for it to know what gear the car is in. is your speedo hooked up and cal?
Old 05-09-2004, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by T/A Medic
its always harder to get an Auto to idle but you should have an easier time with an m6 base program. how big of a cam do u have? probably need to have it idle around 950 min, doesnt have to be outragously high... open up the tb with the set screw... before going bigger tb hole... and try adj the iac values in the pcm... gonna need time for idle relearn and remember the pcm thinks it is nuetral as far as the trans is concerned because there is no way for it to know what gear the car is in. is your speedo hooked up and cal?
the cam is a 238/238. i already have it at 950 and the t/b screw is already turn as much as i can without a tps code. i have not tried anything with the iac values just yet, mabe thats what i need. also there is no speedo hooked up on the car. does that matter?
Old 05-09-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

dont think it matters... but anything is a possibility... i dont remember what the edit tables are set up for... Mph or RPM or TB Pos etc... if it seem the edit tables use mph u might need it... hopefully someone with more exp chimes in... i know my buddy runs a th400 with no speedo and doesnt have idle problems... so i doubt that is the problem.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:23 AM
10 Second Club

i raised the idle up to 1050 and it helps but it still wants to die at a stop sometimes. i think i am going to try to drill the TB one more size and see what happens. it seemed that every time i drilled it the last time, it got better and better. i just dont want to go too much. right now i am at .25"
Old 05-10-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Resident

any idea if its running rich at idle causing the stall? maybe you just need to tweek the VE Tables down some ( 400 800 1200 rpm ) so it doesnt run as rich ... maybe takem down 5% or so... see if that helps since your idle is doing ok now
Old 05-10-2004, 06:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm pretty sure the speedo can affect your tuning since in edit there is a mph scale for the follower table.Timing also affects the idle in gear.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

yah the idle cracker makes a huge difference i have it setup at 2mph engage 1mph disengage (stock?) but until i hit under 1mph the idle is significantly higher, you can almost feel the pull (cruise control lol) die right about 1mph
Old 05-10-2004, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by T/A Medic
any idea if its running rich at idle causing the stall? maybe you just need to tweek the VE Tables down some ( 400 800 1200 rpm ) so it doesnt run as rich ... maybe takem down 5% or so... see if that helps since your idle is doing ok now
i have got the 400 at %60 800 at %60 and 1200 at %70 from my last tune with the M6. i went ahead and tried lowing a little bit more but it just got worse. maybe i got to go up. also on the speedo, when it was M6, i didn't have it hooked up anyway so would not put and miles the car. now with the TH400 i need that adapter to get it to work. my mind is going crazy with this already, i dont know what else to try. i going to go a bit more on the TB hole and see what happens.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

IDLE PROBLEM FIXED!!!! i just ended up locking it in open loop and all problems went away. after some searching i found that it is pretty much useless trying to get a big cam car to idle perfect in closed loop. i know that my gas milage will go down but thats ok. it still should be pretty good compared to my caburated 468ci BB chevy.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

i got some pics of it if someone whats to host them.