PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual wideband- Pre or Post turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dual wideband- Pre or Post turbo?

Vette' project I am working on. Twin turbo. Nice 321 stainless headers. Very nice 321 merge collectors. About a foot of 3" after the collectors and to the turbines. Left and right banks never meet each other.

Dual wideband seems sensible. Should the O2 sensors be installed before or after the turbochargers?

If after, how close or far from the turbo's should they be located? I guess same question if pre-turbo.

Who offers the best all around dual wideband controller with both options and and reasonable cost? Best bang for the buck. Money is always an object.

Is a dual system totally unnecessary?

Thanks, RonO
Old 03-04-2014, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

C'mon, I am the only one around here who does not know these answers. My TIG I'm going to use to weld the bungs is cooling off.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

We always put the WB's after the turbo, and try for a 12" distance. This minimizes the egt and pressure influence on the sensor.
They need to be above horizontal, to prevent the pump cell from getting cold start moisture contamination.
What controller are using for engine mgmt?
FAST has a dual WB system.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always 12" from the turbo hotside. ^^ said it perfectly.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
We always put the WB's after the turbo, and try for a 12" distance. This minimizes the egt and pressure influence on the sensor.
They need to be above horizontal, to prevent the pump cell from getting cold start moisture contamination.
What controller are using for engine mgmt?
FAST has a dual WB system.
Thank you. I do not have a software picked out yet. Wont be ready for that for a few months. Just getting all of the hard parts in place.

I do have another question. The dual WB systems I have seen always have a stand alone controller, either a gauge or handheld unit. Do they somehow inteface with tuning software? Do they need to?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, most will, but will need an output option that is compatible with your tuning software of choice.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

With efi live you can log dual serial widebands through a single serial plug. I'm sure there's a way in hpt but I have never done it, always used efi live only with dual widebands and factory PCM. After market PCM is a whole deal.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
With efi live you can log dual serial widebands through a single serial plug. I'm sure there's a way in hpt but I have never done it, always used efi live only with dual widebands and factory PCM. After market PCM is a whole deal.
Good info. I have read about all the name brands but have been leaning toward EFI Live. What brand WB controller do you recommend?

Quick Reply: Dual wideband- Pre or Post turbo?