Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my new Frost 411 ecm

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Got my new Frost 411 ecm

Just wanted to say thanks to Steve for a fast service and providing me with a new 411 ecm and tune for my setup.

I just recently installed longtube 1 5/8 headers and 3 inch y pipe on my car from the stock manifolds and the car was running very lean.It was previously tuned by a local shop and made 370whp on stock manifolds.After the exhaust I did just a small dyno pull to see where the car was at. Made 355whp/360tq and a/f of 13.6-9 across the board.My tuner wasnt available and i figured why not upgrade to the faster ecm and have it tuned at the same time.

I installed the new ecm yesterday and proceeded to start the car and let it learn for 10 mins,then shut off and restart before taking it for a drive.I noticed a few things between the new frost tune and my previous dyno tuned ecm.

My throttle response isnt as crisp and fast as before,the peppyness from a roll doesnt feel as aggressive..but the car seems to run alot smoother.If i give a quick rev the idle will hang for a second or 2 at 1000rpm before dropping to 800rpm idle,and sometimes coming to a stop or clutching in while in low gear the car will hunt for idle once or twice and then settle.lastly..could be my imagination but the motor doesnt seem as lopey at idle lol but having a cutout solves that.

Aside from that everything else driveability wise feels great.i dont have bucking like my other ecm does but power wise it doesnt "feel" as strong.Im going to hit the dyno hopefully friday if the tuner can make it to the shop and maybe dial the car in some more.It feels like my powerband has shifted up more and I dont break tire as easily down low or have that neck snapping punch when I stab the throttle.I just hope I make close to the 400whp mark and didnt go a step backwards changing up my exhaust setup.

I did email Steve also to let him know how the car is doing,hoping he might have some tips to give me especially since the car lives up here in canada.And im in no way bashing his work,im not expecting the tune to be spot on with the car not right infront of him to see it.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

That cant be a good sign if there are no replies lol...
Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Update

Steve emailed me back some tips on adjusting the tb blade and tps which has greatly improved the throttle response and the dipping idle symptoms Im having.i have to keep adjusting further but its a step in the right direction making the car feel stronger and 0 out driveability issues.Great service so far by him being quick to answer my email within a day.Only issue he discovered on his save file for me was my tach output somehow was set to hi/low of 12 lol.An easy fix any tuner can change.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't say for sure since I have no guarantee the tune I have seen is really one of his, but that's what the owner said it was, but the bolt on tune that was in his PCM seemed pretty conservative on timing. Especially in the low-midrange.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Thats exactly what i like is the low-midrange power/torque.i think I need to adjust the tb some more but each time I do and take it for a drive..it feels better and the dipping of idle happens less which is a good sign in the right direction.

Once i get to hit the dyno again and see some numbers and the afr will show if its truly running better overall.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Finally got off the rollers today and had the frost tune tweaked.After 2hrs got the car dialed in to exactly 400/400. First pull on the frost tune started at 360/375.Car grew another set of *****.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just goes to show even a good mail order tune only goes so far on anything other than a bolt on car but that seems unreal. Do you know what was changed?

Congrats on the new numbers.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

The car was still lean so we added more fuel and timing on the bottom and midrange.Between the Frost tune and my previous tune that is on file the differences were very minor.My tuner tried small things to see what the motor liked or didnt like once it was loaded down.Most gain is having the cutout open and he suggested Im pretty much at the max potential for my setup.If I want to see over 400whp will require non budget friendly mods such as bigger longtube headers,port/polish my heads,port the intake or step up to a fast 90 and bigger injectors I can squeeze another 30-50hp.But for now Im happy where its at,need to chase down the dipping idle I get now and then but thats for another day when the weather is nicer to drive around and tune for drive ability.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:30 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Can you pm me where you had the dyno done and who did the tune? I dont have anyone really local to me.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Champion motors did it,they are a sponsor on here. Call them and speak to Rob and tell him Reggie sent you.Awesome place..its an lsx heaven in there lol.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve is a great tuner but I think people have to remember, mail order is really just a starting point, IMHO. Our cars are all different and they all need to be dialed in for max output, glad it all worked out.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 AM
12 Second Club

I agree and i still highly recommend him if you need a ecm and good base to start from. Not much was changed from his tune and he was well aware i wanted to have the car dyno tuned to further dial it in since Im picky on it being as best it can be with the minimal drive ability issues.Turns out the motor was pickier than I was lol

Quick Reply: Got my new Frost 411 ecm