Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP EFI Idling issue and hesitation/ death with throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default HP EFI Idling issue and hesitation/ death with throttle

Hi, been trying to get my car up and running and I've been having some trouble getting it to idle properly. It also keeps dying when giving it gas from a stop. If it somehow doesn't die it will hesitate, rpms will drop and then it'll jump to life and go. Obviously this is not safe for driving purposes.
I've been trying various changes to the tune based on thing I've read in the holley forums and at yellowbullet, the end result being a car that won't even idle in neutral.

I'm trying to learn about this as I go, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm certainly open to them.
These are the cam specs - 222/230 ..597/.573" 113LSA +2. Car is an automatic.

I wanted to attach a .DL but it isn't a valid file type.
I put the three most recent on google drive in case anyone has nothing better to do and cares to comment. The one named swinging idle is the one in there right now.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...UE&usp=sharing
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give this a shot.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ght=iac+counts
Old 08-17-2014, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

That guy put in a lot of work, I wish someone would make one for the holley stuff. Some good info there regardless. Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 06:49 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to hijack but gotta ask.
The link, Is this the way it is done for speed density idle tuning also?
I have hp tuners and after fighting a problem with bad fuel and finding 2 injectors stuck open i am having to start from the beginning again. Can someone shed some light?

Last edited by SSZ; 08-19-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know much about that I'm afraid.

Here is a screen of a data log and a pic of the A/F screen, maybe someone can make sense of it. On the A/F screen, when the car is idling (and the idle fluctuating), it never leaves the top two rows where the map is really high. Shouldn't the map dip and drop way down at idle? Something I've noticed it that my IAC sensor is always making a twitching fluttering kind of clicking noise and the position is 45-80% all the time. Maybe I should plug it and see what happens?

targetAFAug23

map at idle

Aug23fuelgraph

All comments/ criticisms welcomed.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

To add more info, there is a loud hiss-like sucking noise coming from the air filter; not a normal noise that has always been present but a loud, loud one.
I pulled out the IAC to verfiy that it moves and noticed that when the iac is out the car idles high (1,050ish) but basically smoothly and the sucking noise is absent.
When I plug the outer IAC hole, the loud sucking noise comes back and the car falters.
Watching the IAC, I notice that after I start the car it extends; when I plug it back into it's hole on the TB the sucking noise returns and the car stumbles and dies.
Not sure if this helps but I thought I'd mention it. My goal was to rule out an IAC problem. I'd hate to take this to a tuner only to find it's a mechanical issue.
Vid of what is happening:

https://flic.kr/p/oS7vkr
Old 08-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Here is a screen of a data log and a pic of the A/F screen, maybe someone can make sense of it. On the A/F screen, when the car is idling (and the idle fluctuating), it never leaves the top two rows where the map is really high. Shouldn't the map dip and drop way down at idle?
What map sensor are you using ?

What is your idle vacuum at ?

It should be 18-20 inches of vacuum with that cam, You might have a map sensor that's putting you in the wrong part of the tune. idle should be around 40 kpa.

Quick Reply: HP EFI Idling issue and hesitation/ death with throttle