PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Idle wants to bounce and surge as motor warms up

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It is a 99% percent chance its tune related.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Mine used to do **** like that. It was a combination of the Fast brand TB and the RAFIG table it seems. After switching TB and then redoing the RAFIG table it's been fine.

But every once in a blue moon it still will do weird things when idling and get random idle hangs (most notably after driving on the highway, when getting off on an exit it will want to idle high until I come to a complete stop)
So it was never fixed with the FAST? I know the originals 90s were crap. But I thought their 102 was actually better than the NW... blah.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine was a 90mm.

With EFI Live it's as simple as logging a cold start with the proper PIDs selected and it will build a table for idle airflow average differences to add or subtract from the table in the tune.

I wouldn't stress too much until the tune is gone over from cold, either drop the car over night or trailer it for best results. I had to tweak mine a couple times.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Okay. I think that's what I'll be doing. I need to have the brakes power bled, so I'll drop it at the shop the day before and get the tune the next morning.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine starts to idle high when warm, if I pull the IAC and extend the shaft, refit it will idle as it's meant to.
My tuner will at some time try and sort it.
This started to happen with my old IAC after my new Tick stg 3 cam was fitted so I fitted a new IAC & same thing.

I had a 102 PTM TB at first & have since changed to a NW 102 TB and same thing
Old 09-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I will try that. Do you have to do that everytime?
Old 09-29-2014, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More than likely it's definitely tune related. Can you get your tune file and PM it to me. At roughly 15* of overlap you're right at the point where idle tuning is going to be a bitch. Mine has 24.5* of OL. I would have ran it in SD as well, you have much more fueling control in this state. This current tune you have is not supposed to be starting and driving like a DD. You said it was a MAIL ORDER base tune? If thats the case then hell yea, there has obviously been no logging of your particular setup and what your car wants. Hopefully you get it resolved. If you could get me the tune, I could more than likely tell you right away what the problem is... IE tune or mechanical.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Not mail order anymore. It's been street tuned with a wideband. Like I said, it drove and idled fine for the 2 hours during the tune. Just after that it won't hold idle right.

I don't have a way to get you the tune - I'm thinking about ordering HPT today. But I don't expect it to drive like a DD. But I do expect it to idle and not surge to 2000 at a light where I'm nearly blowing through the brakes lol.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

It could be anything when diagnosing over the internet. If I could see the file, I would be more help.

This is the basic idle tuning thread that helped me tame mine.

Edit-I would buy HPTuners if I were you
Old 09-29-2014, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Jake what are your IAC counts when it's idling high and what is the PCM trying to command? Also what's your TPS voltage?

If it's been stated already I missed it.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
It could be anything when diagnosing over the internet. If I could see the file, I would be more help.

I'm about halfway through that thread, it has been a huge help. I couldn't get my car to idle with all the changes so I had to adjust the screw on the tb which caused more problems, but it should be fixed now. Time to start logging tonight!

Anyone that plans on keeping their Fbody or modding it should definitely get HP tuners. It's a steep learning curve, but very rewarding. You also don't have to rely on someone else every time you change something. It takes a little work to make a big cam streetable and not all tuners will go to that length.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jake the SSnake
I'm about halfway through that thread, it has been a huge help. I couldn't get my car to idle with all the changes so I had to adjust the screw on the tb which caused more problems, but it should be fixed now. Time to start logging tonight!

Anyone that plans on keeping their Fbody or modding it should definitely get HP tuners. It's a steep learning curve, but very rewarding. You also don't have to rely on someone else every time you change something. It takes a little work to make a big cam streetable and not all tuners will go to that length.
Agreed! Adjusting that screw is a bad move. Glad you're getting it back on track.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by FEAR LS

Agreed with buying HP tuners...one of the best investments I have made. I bet it is going to take a couple cold start tuning sessions to get it right. I am guessing there were some cells that did not get addressed in the idle air flow tables during the last visit with the tuner. It will take a few different tuning sessions to get a cam with that much overlap dialed in. Wot tuning is the easy part...its the part throttle drive-ability tuning that takes the most work.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Okay. I was thinking of getting HPT Pro but not necessarily grabbing a wideband with it, as I'd still rather take it to a dyno and get it tuned there. Would it be worth it to grab Pro or just use the standard for tweaks and things and then upgrade later if needed?

I'm thinking the standard edition might be good, but if I need the datalogging on the street with a wideband, I'll go ahead and do it now.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Okay. I was thinking of getting HPT Pro but not necessarily grabbing a wideband with it, as I'd still rather take it to a dyno and get it tuned there. Would it be worth it to grab Pro or just use the standard for tweaks and things and then upgrade later if needed?

I'm thinking the standard edition might be good, but if I need the datalogging on the street with a wideband, I'll go ahead and do it now.
I promise you will not regret getting the PRO. The standard would work for your car, and as you could log a WB through the AC and EGR lines of communications through the PCM the PRO wouldn't be much benefit to you at this time. Although as you become better and better on your own vehicle, you may want to help a friend. In this case you will always need to log AFR's via..WB and the time it takes to wire one in through the EGR or AC isn't necessarily "mobile". Tuning AFR's via Narrow-bands lack accuracy and with age the little "accuracy" they did have is shot to hell. Also keep in mind that not all dyno WB's are accurate as well. I had my car on the dyno and there was a margin of error. I would recommend getting the PRO and the AEM WB. It's not a costly wideband. Myself, and a friend run them fixed mounted in our cars (200 shot nitrous(Mine)/73mm Front mount turbo (His)) and we also have one that we use as a "mobile" setup to help our "friends" dial in their cars. Never had any trouble out of them and they're very user friendly. Being that I have the PRO version it is very easy to put the wideband in any vehicle and go to work.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There's a tutorial over on Efilive that is awesome to followed. Fixed my idle right up.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Is it one of the stickies?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is there a engine temp sensor used for SD tune ? maybe test the engine temp sensor in a pan of hot water .any loose grounds ?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

There is the SD tune. It's part of the LS3 cartridge MAF.

Btw, I'm moving this to tuning. The thread has shifted that way.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

That is the IAT sensor.. The ECT sensor is still in the head.

Last edited by FEAR LS; 09-29-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Idle wants to bounce and surge as motor warms up