PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedomter Recalibration on a Dyno Tuned Vehicle

Old 10-13-2014, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speedomter Recalibration on a Dyno Tuned Vehicle

My pinion bearings are going out on my diff and I decided to just upgrade to 3.73 gears for a few hundred bucks more while they have everything out. However I do have to take care of the speedometer being off. Thing is, my car was dyno tuned at a shop many miles away (over 8 hour drive) by one of the previous owners. Hopefully I'm wrong, but this seems to complicate things a bit.

I'm looking for the most economical way of doing this - handheld tuner, efi live/hp tuners (never used them before), mail order tune; and can this be done easily without effecting the dyno tune? Is it possible that the prevous tuner "locked" it? I don't know if this is a common practice of tuners but I read it a few times while searching for information. If it is locked, what are my options? Also, does anyone know how far off my speedo will be?

Last edited by Marc3.4V6; 10-13-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Your PCM could be locked, no way to know if your tuner locked it or not. If the pcm is locked you have to go back to the tuner who locked it or buy another pcm and start over with a new tuner. The cheapest way to get the speedometer corrected would probably be through mail order. Correcting the gear ratio wont make you lose your dyno tune.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply, should my shift points be changed as well?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It depends alot on if you have a stall or not and what kind of hp you have. If you have a stock stall and bolt ons changing the just the gear ratio would be ok. If you have a big stall all the shift points would need to be adjusted to keep it from going to the rev limiter.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks again. I was actually able to find out who dyno tuned it and called them, they say they never lock their tunes, so I should be good to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedomter Recalibration on a Dyno Tuned Vehicle