PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which way to go Aftermarket ECM or OE ECM tuned?

Old 03-01-2015, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Which way to go Aftermarket ECM or OE ECM tuned?

Which way to go Aftermarket ECM or OE ECM tuned?

I am not liking to buy a software/hardware combo to then have to buy/pay every time i want to use it.

Is there any one time purchase tuning soft software that is worth buying? or should i just look into an aftermarket ECM like a Fast XFI?
Old 03-10-2015, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Here is where I am at with your thoughts.

I run a factory 0411 ecm. I have a s10 that has been swapped. My stock ecm has the ability to have a 2 or 3 bar tune put in it, run a flex fuel sensor, it runs a M6 4l60e or 4l80e, as well as a Turbo 350, turbo 400. While it does cost $650 for a pro unit, it comes with 8 credits to tune up to 4 vehicles. I have not seen anyone who has issues with noise with a stock setup.

I think the Holley setup is really nice. It has some great features on the Dominator. It has many built in controllers, but for all of that neat stuff, your going to pay. Between the harnesses, the unit and the sensors, your going to spend ~$1700-$2xxx. You will still have to understand tuning, and tune it yourself. While it does have some "self tuning" ability, it DOES NOT self tune.
I have heard of a few people who have had noise issues, and Holley is very, very specific about how your wiring needs to be.

Fast XFI, While I don't know much about this, when I was at the Holley training, I heard lots of bad things about this product. (not by Holley, but by shop owners, and installers, and end users) I can think of one very very smart guy on here, who just recently got his issues figured out, and should be getting his car running very well soon. I personally, don't want to buy into products that I can find many many examples where the item has issues.

I just don't see why I would spend so much more money to buy an aftermarket setup, when a factory one, has the ability to do everything I need and want. IF I had a race oriented setup, I would buy into the Holley. This is all of course, JMO.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:25 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBOPOWERED68
I am not liking to buy a software/hardware combo to then have to buy/pay every time i want to use it.
As rpturbo explained, with HP Tuners for EFI Live, you do have to pay for each different PCM/ECM/TCM you tune (after the first 4), but do not have to pay each time you re-tune the same PCM/ECM/TCM. I have retuned my PCM close to a hundred times and never paid anything additional.

People run 1000+ HP turbo systems with the 411 PCM and there are thousands of threads on just that subject, both here and on the HP Tuners forum.

Last edited by mrvedit; 03-11-2015 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-11-2015, 03:13 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Like my buddy Ted, I have at least 100 tune iterations for each of my LS cars. Always learning!

The deal is though, learning HPT tends to cost money too. And the learning curve is pretty steep.

If you are patient, you can find an ECU and harness for around $250. Maybe less.

You will need to mod the harness for stand alone as well.

The GM pcm will do just fine.
I've managed to have gotten good enough with HPT that I'm tuning buddies cars and it's now paid for itself. Which is nice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which way to go Aftermarket ECM or OE ECM tuned?