PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEM 30-4900 Wideband failsafe gauge question.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEM 30-4900 Wideband failsafe gauge question.

Getting ready to wire this gauge in and it has the tach/RPM wire to data log your Rpms,,, Where would be a good place to tap into to get signal?? Also the gauge has a failsafe low side (ground) input, what could I tap into to kill engine if it reads out of the user set operating window.

Here's a link to instructions if it will help.

http://aemelectronics.com/files/inst...fe%20Gauge.pdf
Old 03-20-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

Pin 10 on the Red PCM connector is the tach output signal.
Is that what you are asking?
Old 03-21-2015, 02:37 AM
Staging Lane

Ok. Thanks for tach pin out. It's also got a failsafe so if the car goes lean you can cut power to engine so it won't cause damage... I saw a install on a mustang and they hooked the failsafe up to the pcm so it cut power to it and shut it down. Any help on the failsafe.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

Looking at the wiring diagram for a '98 Camaro, I see a fuse for each bank of injectors. You might consider tying both banks together and running that through a relay to one 15A fuse (15A for both banks should be plenty). Then let your AEM control the relay. Completely shutting off the injectors if the AFR goes out of range should be safe.
Hey, just one idea, perhaps there are better ones.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Just trying to plan my failsafe gauge install. What did you end up doing? Would it be better to cut the power to the coils instead? Cutting fuel with boost doesn't seem like a good idea. I guess if its all at once it probably can't hurt anything. Im surprised more people aren't using this for safety
Old 12-31-2016, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by josh4ku
Just trying to plan my failsafe gauge install. What did you end up doing? Would it be better to cut the power to the coils instead? Cutting fuel with boost doesn't seem like a good idea. I guess if its all at once it probably can't hurt anything. Im surprised more people aren't using this for safety
Cutting ALL the fuel is completely safe. The problems would arise if fuel were only partly cut. With no cats, a spark cut would be good as well, but with cats the fuel would partly burn in the hot exhaust, frying the cats. As far as why not many people use this, it is added cost and complexity. A lot of racers view the engines as disposable, and treat them as such. How much effort you put into saving your motor is an entirely personal choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AEM 30-4900 Wideband failsafe gauge question.