PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dominator or GMPP crate engine ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dominator or GMPP crate engine ECU?

I have a 454 LS3 ... nothing too fancy other than a Harrop ITB.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to install a dominator ecu or a gmpp crate engine ecu (I have both here). I know virtually nothing about tuning and will eventually get it dyno tuned, but I would like the engine to at least be able to start up and idle so I can bleed coolant, etc...

Since i have to do speed density tuning (because of the ITBs) am I better off just using the dominator?

If I weren't using ITBs I'd probably just use the GMPP controller, but what concerns me is I find a lot of threads that go:
'w00000t, got my ITBs'
'car can't idle without dying, oh well, ITBs are cool'
'dyno tune tomorrow!'
*crickets*
Old 10-07-2015, 01:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

What trans are you using? You may be able to use the Holley HP as well. Holley is by far easier to setup and has more capability then the GM ECM's.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have both I would go with the Holley. The ITB's do take alot of work not only adjusting mechainally but also in the tune to make them work right. Biggest thing is getting them sync'd corrctly.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
What trans are you using? You may be able to use the Holley HP as well. Holley is by far easier to setup and has more capability then the GM ECM's.
porsche 930, but i need an ecu that has DBW capability (not to mention the fact I have both here and don't need a third, lol)

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
If you have both I would go with the Holley. The ITB's do take alot of work not only adjusting mechainally but also in the tune to make them work right. Biggest thing is getting them sync'd corrctly.
Fortunately the Harrop seems tuned well out of the box (in terms of throttle opening in sync)
Old 10-09-2015, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex you should contact Westers Garage in Alberta for help with the "917". They are highly regarded.

Also contact some other tuners. They may even have a file that is close to your 454 LS3 ITB build. It might be close enough to get you up and running. Then off to a dyno tune to finish it off. You might be able to use the GMPP setup.

Last edited by mrvedit; 10-09-2015 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Remove link to non-sponsor. (Sorry)

Quick Reply: Dominator or GMPP crate engine ECU?