LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   PCM Diagnostics & Tuning (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning-7/)
-   -   How accurate should my mail order tune be? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/1807787-how-accurate-should-my-mail-order-tune.html)

Z28Dave 10-26-2015 07:59 PM

How accurate should my mail order tune be?

Alright so after a long wait of putting my car together i sent my PCM to Texas speed to get tuned for the parts. Now the car starts up and it'll ilde like it should but when i go to drive it drives like ass. so far it hasn't thrown any codes or anything. The unfortunate part of this is that i sent my PCM 11MAR2014 and it seems that the free year of re tunes has already expired so i'm pretty SOL on that one.

Is it possible for the tune to be lost from having to wait so long? I'm more than positive that all the sensors are in great working order. The throttle response is a little laggy and the rpms hang a little bit when pushed.

Mods:
LS1 block
Single beehive springs
TSP 228r cam
TSP 7.400 pushrods
TSP LT
TSP Y-pipe
TSP rumbler
FAST 102mm
NW 102mm
LS3 fuel rail
LS2 injectors

Nicelysedate 10-27-2015 06:55 AM

It is impossible to tell without posting a tune file. But with those mods your fueling is bound to be off with out a dyno tune. Texas Speed can take a "best guess" at what will work, but with out logging to see whats going on..... A mail order tune for a cam car is just designed to get it to the dyno.

MonmouthCtyLS7 10-27-2015 07:42 AM

I would never mail order a cam tune.

HCI2000SS 10-27-2015 07:45 AM

Any reason not to get a custom tune?

Z28Dave 10-27-2015 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 19016990)
Any reason not to get a custom tune?

Right now i'm just waiting for payday so i can tow it to the local tuning shop and now i feel as if i wasted $200+ on a mail order tune that barely makes the car idle let alone drive

emayer3 10-29-2015 01:20 PM

Having same issue with TSP mail order tune you are having except i did a head swap as well with a similar cam as yours. I didn't expect the tune to be perfect obviously being a mail order. I just wanted it to get the car going until i get it dyno tuned in the spring. I am able to send a data log and they have been helpful so far in getting it closer to where it should be maybe give them a call and see what they will do for you.

jcvett56 10-29-2015 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nicelysedate (Post 19016951)
It is impossible to tell without posting a tune file. But with those mods your fueling is bound to be off with out a dyno tune. Texas Speed can take a "best guess" at what will work, but with out logging to see whats going on..... A mail order tune for a cam car is just designed to get it to the dyno.

This guy is spot on. Sucks to have an issue but you just need to get to a dyno.

CamaroSS22 11-03-2015 02:05 PM

That will happen a lot with mail order tunes, usually they have a large file database and try and pick a tune that is close to your mods. It should be fairly close, but every car is different. With regards to the throttle hanging, it could be a problem with the throttle cracker/follower tables or your base running airflow tables. If TSP did it, it shouldn't take someone that knows what they are doing to get it the rest of the way there.