Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Normal STFT conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Normal STFT conditions?

I just had an exhaust shop weld in some new v band clamps, since the slip fit crap was leaking. I also had them install a bung for a wideband. As soon as I drove away from the exhaust shop I could feel something wasn't right. My new wideband showed I was running really rich. I figured he may have screwed up my narrowband o2 sensors by welding so closely to them.

I setup a scanner and see that my STFT's reach as high as 51%. I assume that is not normal.

My truck was tuned well, and running great. I just installed a set of long tube headers, ORY and a 3 inch super turbo muffler. I was prepared to tweak the tune after the header install (already removed the DTCs for no rear 02s), but this seems abnormal. Should I buy some new 02 sensors before I attempt to retune?
Old 12-26-2015, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. 51% is definitively not normal.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

How can I use the scanner to see if the narrowband o2s are messed up?
Old 12-26-2015, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Scan O2 voltage. It should be switching back and forth. Should be jumping from 100 to 900mv. If it is displaying a constant voltage they aren't working.

Not to be insulting, but did you verify they reconnected them?
Old 12-27-2015, 07:15 AM
TECH Regular

Yea, i checked to make sure none of the welds touched the sensors. Since i previously eliminated my cats and rear o2s, i had two spare sensors. I tried using those sensors instead, but it actually got worse. All 4 of my 02 sensors, besides the aem wideband, have 155 k miles on them. Is it time for a new set?

Ill scan the voltage.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nicelysedate
Scan O2 voltage. It should be switching back and forth. Should be jumping from 100 to 900mv. If it is displaying a constant voltage they aren't working.

Not to be insulting, but did you verify they reconnected them?
I just logged a drive around the block. Both banks read the same. Between 530mv and 690mv for the entire drive. No bouncing. Just a pretty smooth flat line with maybe two peaks and valleys.

From your description, I should be seeing it bounce from 100mv to 900mv constantly. Like non stop peaks and valleys.

I'd be glad to post the log if you'd like to see it.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

I just swapped in a spare set of 02 sensors I had laying around. Now I see the MV signals bouncing like they should. Anywhere from 3mv to 856mv. Truck runs much better. No more stalling, and no more stft of 50%.

However, I am still running a bit rich since I installed the new headers/exhaust. I thought I would be leaner, but I'm not. The commanded AFR is 12.39, but my wideband reads in the 11 range at wot.

Since my truck was already tuned by a good shop. I assume the MAF/VE/PE has all been tuned. It runs pretty decent. Would it be ok to ONLY adjust the PE EQ Ratio table, to try to hit my desired WOT AFR?

Or is it necessary to retune everything?
Old 12-27-2015, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Justhereforinfo
I just swapped in a spare set of 02 sensors I had laying around. Now I see the MV signals bouncing like they should. Anywhere from 3mv to 856mv. Truck runs much better. No more stalling, and no more stft of 50%.

However, I am still running a bit rich since I installed the new headers/exhaust. I thought I would be leaner, but I'm not. The commanded AFR is 12.39, but my wideband reads in the 11 range at wot.

Since my truck was already tuned by a good shop. I assume the MAF/VE/PE has all been tuned. It runs pretty decent. Would it be ok to ONLY adjust the PE EQ Ratio table, to try to hit my desired WOT AFR?

Or is it necessary to retune everything?
Why is your AFR being commanded to 12.39? Should be 14.68.

You need to retune VE tables. Changing PE tables is a hack fix.

O2 Sensors are meant to read stoimetric AFR only. If you are running a closed loop tune you should be commanded to 14.68 and the O2's should be switching back and forth and keep your afr bouncing on either side of 14.68
Old 12-27-2015, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nicelysedate
Why is your AFR being commanded to 12.39? Should be 14.68.

You need to retune VE tables. Changing PE tables is a hack fix.

O2 Sensors are meant to read stoimetric AFR only. If you are running a closed loop tune you should be commanded to 14.68 and the O2's should be switching back and forth and keep your afr bouncing on either side of 14.68
In the PE table I have 1.190 across the board. 14.7/12.35=1.190 At WOT, I am commanding 12.35, not at part throttle.

The truck has already had a good tune. Only change is the LT, ORY, and exhaust.

Can I adjust the PE to achieve the desired afR at WOT, or should I start over with the VE tuning? Retune the maf and VE, everything?
Old 12-27-2015, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

wait, are you saying the tune that I paid $500 for, is a PE hack tune??!!

I can upload it if you want to take a look.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

First thing I would do is do a free air calibration on your W/B and see if your readings change any. If the PCM was adding that much fuel there's a good chance it knocked out the WBO2 sensor.

Were you seeing 12.39 on the WB before the exhaust swap?

IF the WBO2 is accurate the MAF table will need to be adjusted.

As mentioned you don't change your PE to match your WB. You would adjusted the VE table or in this case the MAF table for WOT.

Also things like COT, if it's not disabled will richen up the AFR at WOT
Old 12-27-2015, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

In the PE table I have 1.190 across the board. 14.7/12.35=1.190 At WOT, I am commanding 12.35, not at part throttle.

The truck has already had a good tune. Only change is the LT, ORY, and exhaust.

Can I adjust the PE to achieve the desired afR at WOT, or should I start over with the VE tuning? Retune the maf and VE, everything?
I didn't realize you were talking WOT. You can change your PE to get desired AFR at WOT. The bad thing about doing that is if you have a positive LTFT transitioning to WOT it will carry that trim in to WOT operation.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
First thing I would do is do a free air calibration on your W/B and see if your readings change any. If the PCM was adding that much fuel there's a good chance it knocked out the WBO2 sensor.

Were you seeing 12.39 on the WB before the exhaust swap?

IF the WBO2 is accurate the MAF table will need to be adjusted.

As mentioned you don't change your PE to match your WB. You would adjusted the VE table or in this case the MAF table for WOT.

Also things like COT, if it's not disabled will richen up the AFR at WOT
My aem wideband is only two days old, and can't free air calibrate. It was installed at the same time as the headers, so I can't tell what the AFR was before. My dyno print out shows 12.86.

I just did a couple more runs, and i saw 11.3-12.3 at wot. Noticed a good bit of new power.

I think I may have either an exhaust leak near a sensor, or false knock reading from the header barely touching the frame. The knock would pull timing and that could cause it to go richer.

I'll log KR tomorrow, and check for leaks again.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

And can COT protection be disabled now that I dont have cats?
Old 12-27-2015, 09:46 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

And can COT protection be disabled now that I dont have cats?
Yes it can.
Also, you can use your scanner to reset the fuel trims.
VCM controls
Then try the WOT runs again

Quick Reply: Normal STFT conditions?