PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo LS1 smokes after WOT pulls

Old 02-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo LS1 smokes after WOT pulls

Hello, I have a 2000 Camaro SS 6 speed with a turbonetics t76 @ 8psi on 93 octane. It is a stock ls1, down to the head bolts, gaskets, and valve springs. It runs strong and smooth overall, but I do believe the tune could be a little better, I do not tune cars, previous owner had it dyno tuned by a local shop. My problem is after a decent pull, white/grey smoke is visible coming out of the back. Could a bad tune cause this? It also has a noticeable backfire after letting off from more than 2500-3000 rpm. If not a tuning problem, what else could it be? Turbo feed/drain line leaking? I've thought maybe rings, or could it be lifting the heads? The only reason I can't imagine it being anything that serious is because of how strong it runs. I am by no means a tuning expert, or expert mechanic, so I'm reaching out. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Logan.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Might want to take it to the shop that tuned it, if not find someone that has hptuners that can datalog some runs to verify timing, fuel, etc.. All vitals

Any trouble codes?

I would start by visually looking under the car while started and see if you can pin point any leaks .

Compression/leak down test to verify ring seal and/or head gasket sealing

Do you have an AFR gauge? How are you monitoring the cars vital stats?
Old 02-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Burken01
Might want to take it to the shop that tuned it, if not find someone that has hptuners that can datalog some runs to verify timing, fuel, etc.. All vitals

Any trouble codes?

I would start by visually looking under the car while started and see if you can pin point any leaks .

Compression/leak down test to verify ring seal and/or head gasket sealing

Do you have an AFR gauge? How are you monitoring the cars vital stats?
The only other aftermarket gauge I have is a boost gauge, and it reads "service vehicle" but no check engine lights or anything. If I take it to any shops, honestly I would rather take it to Tick, or someone who knows what they are doing. Ive never been to the place, but the pictures I saw of it didn't look the greatest. I do have a compression tester, and that will be my next step. I was hoping it would be something simple, but obviously that never happens haha.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Tick would be a great start, I would verify that the tunes any good to begin with.

Did it always run like this since you got it? Or just started?

It will be too hard to diagnose it over the interwebz
Old 02-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Burken01
Tick would be a great start, I would verify that the tunes any good to begin with.

Did it always run like this since you got it? Or just started?

It will be too hard to diagnose it over the interwebz
Honestly, I'm not for sure. The first time I noticed it is when I let my dad take it for a spin one day, and saw it in the mirror. I agree, I was hoping for a simple stupid fix, but the best thing would be to take it to the experts. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Backfire is normal with a turbo car with a free flow exhaust. My car does it half the time I do a pull and let off the gas. If it's running smooth, I wouldn't worry too much about the smoke...it is a turbo car after all and they are known to get some smoking on pulls and braking sometimes. I'd simply pull the dipstick and check the oil, take a peak into the radiator and coolant tank, etc. Just give the basics a once over. If all looks good there, pop off the oil fill cap while the engine is running and make sure compression isn't blowing out. If that checks out, run her.

One other thing to keep in mind is the angle of your oil drain line. If it's a shitty angle, when the engine is revving and your making a lot of oil pressure, the turbo may not be able to drain it quick enough so you'll get some burn off in the exhaust. Not a huge deal.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Backfire is normal with a turbo car with a free flow exhaust. My car does it half the time I do a pull and let off the gas. If it's running smooth, I wouldn't worry too much about the smoke...it is a turbo car after all and they are known to get some smoking on pulls and braking sometimes. I'd simply pull the dipstick and check the oil, take a peak into the radiator and coolant tank, etc. Just give the basics a once over. If all looks good there, pop off the oil fill cap while the engine is running and make sure compression isn't blowing out. If that checks out, run her.

One other thing to keep in mind is the angle of your oil drain line. If it's a shitty angle, when the engine is revving and your making a lot of oil pressure, the turbo may not be able to drain it quick enough so you'll get some burn off in the exhaust. Not a huge deal.
I'll do that, thanks for the info!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Mine smokes when I lift at the track.
I figure it helps keep my down pipe from rusting inside......
I'm sure it's my drain, it has a slight uphil section that I will be fixing.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or your crankcase pressure is too high
Old 02-19-2016, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by watman02
Or your crankcase pressure is too high
This is what I was thinking.

OP, what kind of pcv setup is there, if any? And when you say smokes, are you talking just a little puff off of a hard accel run?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo LS1 smokes after WOT pulls