Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle surge after swap - MAF culprit? HPT, LY2

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default idle surge after swap - MAF culprit? HPT, LY2

car: 2007 saab 9-7x 5.3i. the LY5 DOD engine ate itself. after much searching, i found that an 08-10 LY2 4.8 would be mostly a direct swap(58x, non DOD) to get an engine that never came with DOD. also, LY2 was $700, LY5's were going for more than a whole vehicle.

engine: 2008 LY2 from silverado 1500

to start i test fired the LY2 on the LY5 program(just to make sure the engine i got was good) and it was very rich and would not rev. no mechanical issues so i proceeded to tune.

I used HPTuners to take all the air/fuel/spark tables from an 08 LY2 program and insert them into the saab's file and wrote the PCM. the compare feature was very helpful here.

now it starts right up, revs nice and quick like it should, but i'm getting a 500rpm surge at idle. i've looked up part numbers for both the 07 LY5 and 08 LY2 MAF sensors and they are quite different looking. I suspect this may be the culprit, but can someone verify this for me? I literally have just finished the swap and have been tying up loose ends, so I have not taken it out to drive yet, the wheels are still off and the front suspension just got back together.

all sensors, intake with injectors and rails are original to the saab including the MAF.

thanks in advance for any input.

Quick Reply: idle surge after swap - MAF culprit? HPT, LY2