PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Camaro z28 won't start after Hp Tuner installed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 Camaro z28 won't start after Hp Tuner installed!!!!

I have searched all over the net for different answers not sure exactly where I went wrong.I went into the ecu and had no issues at first.I later tried to write a Entire,Then my car wouldn't start after that.I'm not sure what I screwed up but I'm hoping someone that knows about this could help me.The car is a 1998 ls1 car was swapped when I got it.The motor is from a 99+ the car has never thrown a Check engine light since I've had it.I am wondering since i put tunes on there was my car already tuned.I'll attach what I have...the car has TSP 17/8 headers and Rumbler dual exhaust.SLP LID LS6 intake 241 heads.Fuel pump has been upgraded not sure which one.Please don't kill me here I'm learning and trying.I read a good bit made a mistake hitting write entire.After that the VCM didn't want to read.Then eventually I got the VCM to read calibrations again. I hit reset fuel trims at one point not sure if that did it? Car turns over but will not start.Was just running fine earlier in the day.
Attached Files
File Type: cfg
hp tuner scan stock.cfg (2.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: hpt
hp tuner scan2.hpt (448.6 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Comptonrob; 02-28-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

What version of HPT are you using?

It sounds like a possible VATS issue. Was VATS disabled prior?

Doing a write entire won't brick the PCM. Normally the only reason you'd do a write entire is if you change the OS and/or change the VATS settings.

Try unhooking the battery for a while. Make sure it's charged up and see if you can read the PCM.

I'm sure you're freaking out man. You'll get it figured out. You aren't the first one who has had the car not start after a HPT flash.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how hpt is but it sounds like it did not complete the calibration flash. Does hp give you the option to do a full flash? I use efi live and have had to do a full flash due to a calibration flash error. After that it fired right up
Old 02-29-2016, 03:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
What version of HPT are you using?

It sounds like a possible VATS issue. Was VATS disabled prior?

Doing a write entire won't brick the PCM. Normally the only reason you'd do a write entire is if you change the OS and/or change the VATS settings.

Try unhooking the battery for a while. Make sure it's charged up and see if you can read the PCM.

I'm sure you're freaking out man. You'll get it figured out. You aren't the first one who has had the car not start after a HPT flash.
I have the Hp Tuner Pro,And Yes the vat system was disabled.I had the Column rebuilt and the guy hooked it back up.He took the bypass off the car...But car ran fine until I flashed entire ecu. The Vat system was enabled when I went to settings.But didn't know which one to link it with.Had None,Serial,And another forgot which one.I tried to link it to the Serial and see but that didn't work.The flash was completed but it said disconnect,So I removed it.Then I kept getting fail code VCM wouldn't rewrite.My car battery was going low after all the messing with it.

Originally Posted by mvvette97
I'm not sure how hpt is but it sounds like it did not complete the calibration flash. Does hp give you the option to do a full flash? I use efi live and have had to do a full flash due to a calibration flash error. After that it fired right up
Full flash? Yes the Hp tuner gives you ability to flash the calibrations only or flash entire ecu. When I was only doing Calibrations rewrite car had no issue. Gonna have to go to the drawing board and see today.I couldn't hear the fuel pump after key was placed in on position.I'm guessing it has to do with the Vat system as well. Maybe I should have left it off.I got the car slightly modified and I have yet to figure out all of the things the previous owner did.The car never throws Check engine, All gauges work,Everything comes on but I don't hear fuel.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:04 AM
Teching In

Long as PCM won't brick after rewrite entire I'm good just gotta find where I went wrong.I just was trying to make sure I didn't need a new PCM
Old 02-29-2016, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Comptonrob
Long as PCM won't brick after rewrite entire I'm good just gotta find where I went wrong.I just was trying to make sure I didn't need a new PCM
If the car has auto headlights be sure to turn them off. It may not of been anything you done at all. Any power surge during a flash can cause the flash to get mixed up. you don't hear the fuel pump because of the scrambled tune. That's why I would do a full flash. Had a guy hit his line lock button when I was flashing his car and it done the same thing. Thought we were screwed. Car wouldn't start. Did a full flash and told him not to touch anything and it worked. Those 98 pcm are getting hard to find so hope it's ok. That said I do have a spare if you needed one. it would need your tune flashed in it because it has a corvette tune in it now
Old 02-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Teching In

If the car has auto headlights be sure to turn them off. It may not of been anything you done at all. Any power surge during a flash can cause the flash to get mixed up. you don't hear the fuel pump because of the scrambled tune. That's why I would do a full flash. Had a guy hit his line lock button when I was flashing his car and it done the same thing. Thought we were screwed. Car wouldn't start. Did a full flash and told him not to touch anything and it worked. Those 98 pcm are getting hard to find so hope it's ok. That said I do have a spare if you needed one. it would need your tune flashed in it because it has a corvette tune in it now
how do you disable auto lights ?My car headlight stay on with ignitiin in on position.The headlight switch will not turn it off while key is in.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Found out battery was bad hadn't got a chance to try to rewrite again.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull the E brake up one click
Old 02-29-2016, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Found out battery was bad hadn't got a chance to try to rewrite again.
I hope that takes care of it. Low battery voltage on a write will definately cause problems.

When I asked what version of HPT you were using I meant are you using 2.24 or 3.0.

3.0 being new is kinda buggy.

Keep us updated.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I hope that takes care of it. Low battery voltage on a write will definately cause problems.

When I asked what version of HPT you were using I meant are you using 2.24 or 3.0.

3.0 being new is kinda buggy.

Keep us updated.
I have the 2.24 and the car voltage would hang around voltage would fluctuate 13-14v just recently started showing low around 12.7 never gave me a issue.Went to get it charged,at a local auto part store.Came back they said the battery had a bad connector.So I got a Red top Optima figured nice investment.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:05 AM
Teching In

How much for Pcm
Old 03-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Looks like $100.00 - $200.00, maybe a little more. Depends on rebuilt or new.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

How much for Pcm
I'm not for sure I guess. Did you try a full flash on yours yet? If not I would try that before you buy a pcm. Does it require credits or a license to tune the 97-98 pcm with hp tuner? Efi live does not
Old 03-07-2016, 07:16 AM
Teching In

I'm not for sure I guess. Did you try a full flash on yours yet? If not I would try that before you buy a pcm. Does it require credits or a license to tune the 97-98 pcm with hp tuner? Efi live does not
Yes I have and I kept gettting checksum fail error so I sent info to HP TUNER. Hopefully they get back with me.....They said it had to be sent to engineer to check out my HPT file.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Teching In

this is old tune log first file ls1 idle

Second file is with new ecu from 1998 ls1 with changes I made not sure If I was going in right direction o2s were disabled ,egr,But the injectors b1 and 2 wouldnt show and MAP was reading 100

Someone help please.

Using 3.0 software now......
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
idle ls1 camaro.hpl (18.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: hpl
wont start check sum.hpl (13.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 03-22-2016, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Can someone help! All I could do is Screenshot graph PID wouldn't store info. I have a chart of the car running with old ecu and tune as well. That is second file attached.I'm thinking my injector values are off. The car has a 02 motor and it is a 1998.
Attached Thumbnails 1998 Camaro z28 won't start after Hp Tuner installed!!!!-12891028_10153978730173607_603567185708089784_o.jpg   1998 Camaro z28 won't start after Hp Tuner installed!!!!-12898143_10153978756998607_2239483101457690522_o.jpg  
Old 03-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Teching In

I'm just curious what Injector values to use,00?

Quick Reply: 1998 Camaro z28 won't start after Hp Tuner installed!!!!