Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may have to break down and buy hptuners

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 11:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I may have to break down and buy hptuners

I am sick of this **** with monopolizing ls1edit. Last month i lost a pcm due to a weak battery and bought a new PCM from cardone. I sent carputing 200 to add the new license and send me the cable back for use with edit. yesterday my PCM took a **** on me out of no where and the dealer cant flash it for me (wont commnuicate with the pcm) so I am stuck buying another PCM and sending carputing another 2000 to add yet another license for a new grand total of

550 for software and cable
200 for fist license
200 for another licesnse

With hptuners I wil have for 500 a scanner and flasher with a RECOVERY feature that wouldve allowed me to not have to incur the cost when i lost the first PCM. man I am so mad i cant see straight right now
Old 06-15-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

That's why I waited. I had faith in them making HPTuners for the 98s. Sweet.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry to hear that. I lost a flash due to comms problems (USB adapter related) and got lucky with a $50 reflash. I wonder why losing battery power would ruin the PCM for good. Seems like you could just flash another file in there?
LS1Edit does suck when it comes to PCM recovery/customer service.... the only option they offer is to send your PCM to them and let them have a go at it for $50. If they can't fix it, then you pay another $200-300 for a new PCM plus another $200 for a new Edit liscence.
In other words, if Edit trashes your PCM, you could get lucky and a $50 reflash might fix it... OR, you could get screwed and end up spending another $500+ just to get back a working, editable PCM. Not a very good set of customer service options. After several years on the market with LS1Edit, you would expect carputing to have developed a PCM recovery capability.

Last edited by deezel; 06-15-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
550 for software and cable
200 for fist license
200 for another licesnse

With hptuners I wil have for 500 a scanner and flasher with a RECOVERY feature that wouldve allowed me to not have to incur the cost when i lost the first PCM. man I am so mad i cant see straight right now
Sorry. . I think I would check and see when EFILive's editor debutes. Should be towards the end of the summer???
joel
Old 06-15-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that really sux The first time it happened to me I got lucky and my PCM could be recovered by a dealership... but I was always leary of edit after that...

Definetly sounds like in your case HP Tuners could take care of alot of headaches... scanner + editor + recovery + out now and has been out for a while = winning combo to me
Old 06-15-2004, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

don't forget non vin locked

I am a huge fan of the recovery feature, helped a friend when his HPP3 died, and recovered it no problem.

might want to try to get somebody with hp to recover your dead pcm. longshot, but you really can't make it too much worse can you?

Ryan
Old 06-16-2004, 03:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great advice, its convinced me to got an buy the HP tuner. I currently have EFILiveV6 its been working very well, but sometimes I want to do that bit extra like modifying the VE tables.

The car is pretty much stock at the moment. Got 5 weeks before I take it for a run down the 1/4 mile, will be the first time.

Is it possible in increase the performane just by editing the PCM? I was speaking to a guy who knows a guy that works for Lister (LeMann's type cars) he reckons he could get over 450bhp out of the LS1 just by changing the PCM, nothing else. Okay I'm not expecting that much as he would charge thousnds for that.

Does anyone have figure on how much you an get out of a stock car just by PCM modifications?
Old 06-16-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
Is it possible in increase the performane just by editing the PCM? I was speaking to a guy who knows a guy that works for Lister (LeMann's type cars) he reckons he could get over 450bhp out of the LS1 just by changing the PCM, nothing else. Okay I'm not expecting that much as he would charge thousnds for that.

Does anyone have figure on how much you an get out of a stock car just by PCM modifications?
well... figure many LS1s are dynoing 320+ at the rear wheels w/a lid filter and few minor things... so that's like 380 flywheel horsepower in a M6 ... given that I really doubt he'll pickup 70hp just from PCM changes...

To make power out of a car you need 2 things... oxygen and fuel (well more than 2 but those are the key ingredients) ... you also need the car the ignite the mixture at just the right point ... so you need to get the air/fuel ratio dialed in and the spark advance dialed in... on a bone stock car PCM tuning may pickup 0rwhp or maybe 10-15 tops (if you run the car dangerously lean and on the bring of pre-detonation) ... on a modded car possibly more

(these values are just guesses) ... really on a stock car just PCM changes won't net you much hp .. it just depends on how lean you're willing to run the car and how much timing you're willing to run (or rather how rich your car is running from the factory and how much you have to lean it out)

This is the same reason that some cars take HPP3 tuning and run stronger and some run weaker... the tuning raises timing and leans the car out... if your car was running on the lean side from the factory (making more hp) then leaning it out more could cause detonation/KR ... but if your car is running pig rich then leaning it out will give you more hp and give you better results...
Old 07-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Default headerds

should of got headers
Old 07-08-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dang, when Edit froze my PCM, I got it fixed under warranty and sent the cable back to them and said fix it...they never charged me anything and I never would have given them another dime. Dont let them tell you that they cant unlock the cable and allow it to be relocked...I've done it.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:53 PM
FormerVendor

I sold the cable so there are no worries anymore