PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 H/C Stroker installed, tuned.. engine stalls. Advice Please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS3 H/C Stroker installed, tuned.. engine stalls. Advice Please.

Over the winter had my 416 LS3 stroker built for my TBSS. Engine came out great and made pretty good power during the Dyno tune yet having some low RPM issues, with basically the engine stalling at start ups in the morning at once in a while when putting the truck into drive from reverse, and also occasionally stalling when slowing down for a stop.

First off here is the basic build:
L92 Block with 416 forged rotating assembly
Trickflow 230/238 cam
Lingenfelter Ported CNC LS3 Heads with upgraded springs/trunion kit
Melling Oil Pump
L92 Intake/LS3 Injectors/Headers

Have about 500 miles on the build. Still running the break-in oil.

After it was built the local shop that built the engine put a basic tune on it which did fine to get it to Dyno Tune shop that has done quite a few LS engines in the past (the tuner himself runs a procharged C6). The tuner was happy with the results and only took it on a short street drive of maybe 10 minutes by himself.

It's been cold a lot during the winter with temps from 0-30*F in the mornings when I start it up it fires no problem but will often stall after about 10 seconds. I keep it just above idle to keep it running until temps are normal then it idles just fine. I've figured just the cold weather was affecting how the engine was stalling at idle/low RPM. I took it back to the local builder to have him tweak the idle all the way up to 1100rpm until the temps reach normal then to drop back to ~770rpm. Even with this I'm still having issues when I start the truck up in the mornings.

I really haven't been driving it much, maybe once or twice per week b/c of the issue so I take another vehicle, but still want to get this issue resolved. This morning temps were about 45*F truck started right up, idles for about 20 seconds then dies. I go back to start it and I crank it, it starts but engine is surging right to the brink of stalling.. at the low end of the surge i can hear a squeal/long squeak type noise until the engine evens out and the noise goes away.. I take a look and oil pressure is good (about 50-60psi) so not sure what it was.

Is the issue with the tune? It's been a couple months since the tune was done but I might be giving them a call back to see if they can "street tune" it some more to resolve it if that is the case.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I am sure your idle airflow tables need to be tweeked in the tune to fix your issue.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go over the entire motor and make sure something has not snapped off. Make sure all connections are secure, plugs, electrical. etc etc. Sometimes it is something small.

Quick Reply: LS3 H/C Stroker installed, tuned.. engine stalls. Advice Please.