Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual swap on a Pontiac G8 GT Tuning / wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual swap on a Pontiac G8 GT Tuning / wiring issues

Hi all, a GM tech mate of mine and I are tackling an M6 swap into my G8GT (ok, my buddy is the one actually doing most of the tackling...)

The mechanical work is done and the car will start and run but we've got a collection of computer / wiring goblins we're having a hard time squashing. The setup is:

- replaced the 9.1 engine harness with 9.5 version and added the clutch position harness
- BCM from Chris White setup for manual cars
- An ECM only version of my old tune flashed in

Here is a quick description of the issues we're hitting as written up by my mate:

-----
C0161 71 set in EBCM. According to SI diagnostics, BCM is bad. Same issue with both BCMs so unlikely that's the case. Wiring to sensor is fine, and same issue with 3 different sensors (don't ask)

C0277 06 and C0277 4B setting in BCM. Unable to perform BPP calibration, scanner hangs up on "procedure in progress" and goes nowhere.

Brake lights either stay on, or won't come on at all, depending which BCM is plugged in (I forget which does what) and as I said, it won't allow calibration.

POSSIBLY related, but unsure: ECM and EBCM both setting U0101 for lost comm with TCM (which uses BPP to disengage TCC on brake apply) but TCM is long gone.

When I saw the ECM connector plugged in backwards compared to the original one, a few circuits were checked for pin location but it's not to say something is in the wrong place from the factory (have seen this before) an awful lot of wires to compare, but if someone thinks it could be a cause of the issues then it'll get looked at
-----

From my side, I supplied the modified tune from instructions cobbled together from hp tuners forum. I did an ECM only read of my existing tune. That gave me an tune with only the minimal trans page in VCM editor matching what you see when you open up an M6 tune from a VE Commodore or GXP. That tune was then flashed to the ECM with a write entire. That we're seeing U0101 on the ECM it seems to me that what I flashed on the the ECM may have looked like a manual tune but at some level wasn't.

Would love any advice anyone can provide on how to go forward. With the tune, is the best bet to license a factory M6 tune from a VE Commodore, copy over my engine config and flash that? Nothing I do will un-gray-out the segment swapper option in vcm editor to go the other way and copy over the trans details from a factory m6 tune onto my current tune.

Really hoping for some help, pretty stuck at the moment and with some sun finally coming out up here I really wanna go row some gears!

cheers
Nate
Old 04-15-2016, 07:00 AM
Teching In

Does anyone have any points on this? We're going to get to work on the car again on Saturday and my only plan at the moment going in is spend a couple of HP Tuners credits on a factory VE Commodore tune, copy the differences from my tune over and flash that. Would really like to know if that has a chance of success or if I'm just throwing money away trying. Anyone with manual swap or HPT experience that can chime in?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You are forging pretty much new territory and I really can't comment on your questions. I can at least contribute a copy of a .hpt file from a 6-speed GXP that I tuned. With headers and CAI this tune put down 400 rwhp.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
exhaust tune 2.hpt (1.86 MB, 172 views)
Old 04-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chevy406
You are forging pretty much new territory and I really can't comment on your questions. I can at least contribute a copy of a .hpt file from a 6-speed GXP that I tuned. With headers and CAI this tune put down 400 rwhp.
Hey, thanks for the reply Chevy406 and thanks for the tune. Away from my HPT laptop at the moment so will have to wait until this evening to take a look but really appreciate you posting it up.

We're in fairly new territory for sure but a few folk have walked this path successfully before. One thing a lot of them had in common though was that they happen to use EFILive for their tuning so it's a bit hard to translate what they did over to the HPT world, particularly for a tuning newb like me.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Manual swap on a Pontiac G8 GT Tuning / wiring issues

Sounds like BCM does not want to communicate with other modules...

do you know that the BCM is functional and compatible (what year model is it from) with the other modules in your car...?
Old 04-17-2016, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joecar
Sounds like BCM does not want to communicate with other modules...

do you know that the BCM is functional and compatible (what year model is it from) with the other modules in your car...?
Wondering the same thing Joecar. Got the BCM from here

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/ind...d=28&Itemid=54

so the theory is it should be the right part for the job but not 100% sure how to confirm if it's functioning correctly. It does do some of the things its meant to like lock and unlock the doors when turning the key but it's a gremlin candidate for sure. We also have the auto bcm that was in the car before the swap and it has similar but not identical issues (brake lights always on but it's able to do a bpp relearn) but it's being complicated by it freaking out because it's not seeing the TCM. The guy from the website above is out of town apparently for another week or so which is not great timing for us.... but others have used his bcm in this swap successfully it seems.

On the plus side, flashing the Holden tune seems to have made the ECU happy with life without a TCM so looks like a win there (knock on wood, didn't get a lot of time to mess around over the w/end). Now it's just this brake light / BPP relearn issue to get past.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Sorry to revive an old thread but did everything wind up working right in the end? What needed to be done?

Quick Reply: Manual swap on a Pontiac G8 GT Tuning / wiring issues