PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 GTO idles rich but dies.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 GTO idles rich but dies.....

I just purchased a 2004 Pontiac GTO with 5.7L LS1. He stated it had an "LS6 hot cam" (his words) and LS6 heads. The car for sure has Long tube headers and pretty new exhaust all the way back. When I picked it up it had a bad o-ring. I noticed a fuel smell he stated it was the bad o-ring and showed it to me and so I took his word for it. I repaired the o-ring and have still noticed the fuel smell. but it is stronger now. The car sat for a year in a garage so I kinda thought it would go away and was just from sitting for awhile. the car idles fine in Park. It drives fine up and down the road other than burning very rich. you can smell fuel anytime your just sitting. but when idle like at a stop light or stop sign or just putting in gear after starting it will die if you don't idle it up some. it has a tune from a local tune shop but it was done in 2014. I don't want to carry to a shop and then it be something stupid I could've fixed myself nor do I want to pay $400 for the guy to adjust the tune for it to be something like a sensor that I could've replaceed first.

Any help would be appreciated. I am new to LS motors but I can do pretty basic stuff myself. I have a wide band O2 sensor but it hasn't been installed yet.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nick04gto
I just purchased a 2004 Pontiac GTO with 5.7L LS1. He stated it had an "LS6 hot cam" (his words) and LS6 heads. The car for sure has Long tube headers and pretty new exhaust all the way back. When I picked it up it had a bad o-ring. I noticed a fuel smell he stated it was the bad o-ring and showed it to me and so I took his word for it. I repaired the o-ring and have still noticed the fuel smell. but it is stronger now. The car sat for a year in a garage so I kinda thought it would go away and was just from sitting for awhile. the car idles fine in Park. It drives fine up and down the road other than burning very rich. you can smell fuel anytime your just sitting. but when idle like at a stop light or stop sign or just putting in gear after starting it will die if you don't idle it up some. it has a tune from a local tune shop but it was done in 2014. I don't want to carry to a shop and then it be something stupid I could've fixed myself nor do I want to pay $400 for the guy to adjust the tune for it to be something like a sensor that I could've replaceed first. Any help would be appreciated. I am new to LS motors but I can do pretty basic stuff myself. I have a wide band O2 sensor but it hasn't been installed yet.
Ok verify it has 243 heads by reading that number off the passenger head (top right) corner..

Also, what o-ring are you talking about related to the fuel system?

Any codes showing?
Old 06-19-2016, 05:30 PM

241 stamped on head. no codes showing
Old 06-19-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nick04gto
241 stamped on head. no codes showing
Ok 241 is the standard ls1 head. So he either lied to you or he was misled as well..

As far as the cam, you won't be able to tell what is actually in their since its internal.. Unless you do a partial disassembly of the front of the engine.

I would find a reputable tuner and let them scan it and see what's going on in the tune.

If your are throwing codes related to a sensor that's one thing, if the tune was not done right that's another thing.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:47 PM

no telling. his story was he bought it and put it in the shop and once he got it out he wanted a little more power so sent it to have a turbo put on and the guy had it a year before he had to go pick it up in pieces and have put back together by another shop. I was hoping there was some kind of adjustment somewhere I could fix without having to pay for a full on tune. I appreciate the help. it would be better for me to have it done right than mess more up anyway lol.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

If there is an aftermarket fuel line in the engine bay and it is not a PTFE hose, the gas smell will come thru the line. The intake for the cabin air is right behind the hood--bottom of windshield, and it will suck the fumes into the cabin.

Quick Reply: 04 GTO idles rich but dies.....