Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1-LS1 Swap PCM/TAC question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1-LS1 Swap PCM/TAC question

Thanks for looking!

I'm replacing a hydro-locked LS1 in an '04 C5/Automatic with an LS1 from same year C5, same configuration, automatic, 73k mi.

The original PCM/TAC are still in the car. The replacement LS1 is a drop-out with all accessories including TB intact. The harness is still on the motor in excellent condition. Side by side the engines are identical including all plug points.

After a few maintenance items on the replacement LS1 I would like to reinstall into the drivetrain and back in the car.

Due to the hydro-locked engine I'm sure the codes are still on the original PCM in the car (It ran on 7 cylinders well enough to idle and get the car up the drive and into the garage). There was a hole in the block and a busted connecting rod so codes are low vacuum, O2, etc., etc.

My plan, before starting the engine after install, was to turn the key to ON and clear the codes with my ODB Scantool software, switch off, and then start up so I'm not carrying all those alerts and codes.

I have done this on other cars but this is my first LS1/Vette. Does anyone see any errors with this startup approach, fatal or otherwise? I would appreciate any input.

I do have the PCM and TAC module that shipped with the replacement engine but I don't see the need to use them.

I am keeping everything stock.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It shouldn't matter either way. As soon as you start the car the computer will recognize a potentially fixed issue and begin a new drive cycle when the conditions are met. If you did install the other PCM it would need the VIN changed to match the car anyhow. The battery being disconnected will reset some of the codes anyhow.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! makes sense.

Quick Reply: LS1-LS1 Swap PCM/TAC question