PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES after replacing o2 sensors, help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 10:41 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question SES after replacing o2 sensors, help!

Okay, here's my dilemma:

Car has 81,000 miles with the mods listed in my sig. I got a SES light about 4 weeks ago, and the code was po430 (o2 sensors on rh bank according to scanner at autozone). I figured the o2's could use replacing, so I ponied up the funds and replaced all 4, then had the code cleared. Drove about 60 miles on the highway today, and when I got off at the ramp where I work, damn SES light again! Went back to autozone and checked the SES code, came up the same again! Had it cleared, and by the time I drove it home in the city (10 miles) it was back on! Car has stock manifolds, Y-pipe and exhaust except for a 3" single flowmaster muffler. My friend runs a speed shop and his guess was a dead cat possibly or a computer glitch (he mostly deals with older carb'd stuff and some LT1 cars but not much on LS1's). Any ideas? The car doesn't seem to idle bad, run rich or get poor mileage, but I'd like to clear it up soon.

TIA!

Derek
Old 06-23-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to HP tuners 430 is catalyst low efficiency on bank 2 so i guess your cat is going bad.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who is getting codes P0420 and P0430, which is the cat efficiency for both sides.

I was always under the impression that if cats were"going bad" the car would run like cr@p. In her case, with only 28K miles on it, it runs great.

We ran Auto Tap a few times and the rear O2 sensors readings look right, however, the front O2's both read quite low, thus the reason the computer thinks there is low efficiency. The cats can NOT make it richer. We can't figure out what is going on. We swapped a front O2 and it still read about the same.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

bad cat wouldn't affect the way the car runs. definetly sounds like a cat is going
Old 06-24-2004, 05:15 PM
7 Second Club

thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I'll be looking into a cat, or maybe a new y-pipe

Derek