PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying HP tuners but was warned off by somebody..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying HP tuners but was warned off by somebody..

Hi,

I plan to buy HP tuners so that I can back up the tune on my PCM - the car was modified and tuned before I bought the car (2001 WS6 Trans Am). I don't really need nor want to do any "tuning" I simply want to have a copy of the tune in case my pcm ever fails as it wouldn't run properly on a stock tune and it would be the case of starting over which here in the UK isn't so easy as virtually nobody is tuning LS anymore.

Somebody I was speaking to warned me against doing this saying that "sometimes" when you try and connect up to the PCM it can "lock out" or something similar which means the car wont run and then a chip has to be replaced and the tune re-flashed...

is there any truth in this?

Thanks

James
Old 04-19-2017, 11:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Anytime you read or flash any pcm there is a very, very small chance that the pcm could crash or be bricked. Its the same chance you take when you update your cell phone phone or any electronic device basically.
I would buy HPT and not even worry about it if it were me. We are a dealer for HP Tuners if you need a place to purchase it from. We dont have pricing on our website for shipping to the UK but we can get you a shipping price and ship it overseas no problem.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.

I will definitely contact you when im ready to buy it!

regards
Old 04-20-2017, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

just dont unplug the serial port connection while doing a write entire
Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Some cars are more finicky than others, for example the 04-07 CTSVs (not sure if it's the same with new ones). For that one you really have to be careful to not to have anything else on in the car while the PCM is being flashed. I had an issue once where the PCM was locked out for a while because we had the radio on or something while flashing.

But most other cars are fine. I flashed my GTO PCM hundreds of times with no issue, but as LSX said there's always the chance that something goes wrong and it breaks stuff. But that's the case with anything in life, not just HPT.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool thanks for the replies!

I won't actually have to flash anything for simply backing up the tune that's on the there will I?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
Cool thanks for the replies!

I won't actually have to flash anything for simply backing up the tune that's on the there will I?
No. You wont have to flash anything if youre just backing up the tune. Make sure you license it so that you can modify it in the future.

No you wont brick your computer UNLESS the flash is interrupted (disconnected cable, dead car or laptop battery, key off, etc). Also, no charging using an DC to AC converter while connected to the interface... That will fry your interface.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Biggest way to toast something is if the laptop you use has the power plugged into the wall during loading, especially if the car battery is on a charger at the same time. Can create a goofy ground loop. Just don't have the laptop plugged into the wall charging when it's connected to the car.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

James,

If all you want is a "safety copy" of your tune then it would be a ton cheaper just to find someone in the U.K. With either HPT or EFILive and get them to read the tune out and send you a copy.

You should jump onto the Monaro forum on Piston Heads and ask for someone near to you (I'm down near Reading if that's any use in the future)

Regards

Jim
Old 04-22-2017, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 338 Posts

efilive reads pcms for free if you know anyone else that has it. you can save it and not spend any money until something actually fails.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You can have someone upload to hptuners repository also so its always available

Quick Reply: Buying HP tuners but was warned off by somebody..